When I'm not using wifi, I keep Data Saver turned on.

This is supposed to prevent apps from sending or receiving data in the background.

But regularly, throughout the day, I still get app updates in the notifications area. I assume that still uses a fair bit of data.

Is there no way to include that in Data Saver?
    05-26-17 11:32 AM
    But regularly, throughout the day, I still get app updates in the notifications area. I assume that still uses a fair bit of data.
    Probably not as much as you think, most of that is just text based notifications.

Is there no way to include that in Data Saver?
    What 'Data Saver' are you even referring to? There's various other third-party options that can help.
    05-26-17 12:15 PM
    Probably not as much as you think, most of that is just text based notifications.
    I appreciate that the notifications are text but they are notifying me of updates that have been applied; I'm not sure I have a way of knowing how much data is involved each time.

What 'Data Saver' are you even referring to? There's various other third-party options that can help.
    Good point, i didn't say what phone I was using. It's a KEYone., so it's the standard data saver in the settings menu.
    05-27-17 02:50 AM
    Aha, I checked the Data Saver settings again this morning and it says '1 app allowed to use unrestricted data etc etc'. It used to say '0 apps.....'.

The one that had somehow become 'allowed' was Google Play services, which was probably responsible for these updates. Problem solved, hopefully.
    05-27-17 04:30 AM
    I don't think I'm familiar with data saver, how do you access it? Settings, ....

(I use a priv)
    05-27-17 07:47 AM
    I don't think I'm familiar with data saver, how do you access it? Settings, ....

(I use a priv)
    I'm not positive this is exactly the same as is being discussed, but under data usage you can scroll down, select an App, and then set "Restrict app background data" .

Also from the data usage screen: three dot menu, "Restrict background data" . I assume that option is effectively equivalent to setting the option for all apps individually.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    05-27-17 08:54 AM

(I use a priv)
    Can't guarantee it's the same as in the priv's version of Android, but on the KEYone it's 'Settings, Data Usage, Data Saver...'
    05-29-17 03:00 AM
    I appreciate that the notifications are text but they are notifying me of updates that have been applied; I'm not sure I have a way of knowing how much data is involved each time.

Good point, i didn't say what phone I was using. It's a KEYone., so it's the standard data saver in the settings menu.
    If auto - update bandwidth is a consideration the option (and its notifications) can be turned off in Google Play's settings. That way updates can be applied manually using WIFI.
    05-29-17 03:13 PM

(I use a priv)
    We'll see that option when Nougat comes to our priv.. Coz it's 1 of the benefits of Nougat. Honestly I'm still positive on the Nougat update. In fact, it's now 31 May and the KEYone has been officially launched for sale in US and CA so.. Yeah, we're getting closer now! Stay positive!
    05-30-17 06:23 PM
    For those who don't know, in Android 7 Nougat, Google brought in a Data Saver feature that allows you to block certain apps from using your Mobile Data when you are not in a WiFi spot. It sits in Connections settings.

1122334455667788 and Biggles like this.
    06-04-17 04:29 AM