I have never owned an Android phone before.

Currently using a Passport, love the phone and love BlackBerry 10 OS, but looking at the app scenario it looks like I will have to switch to an Android phone soon.

So here comes the crucial question, do I purchase a blackberry phone on android? Or buy another android phone and install the BlackBerry App suite?

How different are the two? What are the pros and cons? What would I miss if I bought former or the latter?

I have looked at Android phones but the level of customization baffles me, in the way that would it be possible to have the same productivity and experience on a regular android with BlackBerry apps suite and launcher as that of an Android BlackBerry?

Your thoughts, ownership experiences would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-16 11:38 PM
    I have never owned an Android phone before.

Currently using a Passport, love the phone and love BlackBerry 10 OS, but looking at the app scenario it looks like I will have to switch to an Android phone soon.

So here comes the crucial question, do I purchase a blackberry phone on android? Or buy another android phone and install the BlackBerry App suite?

How different are the two? What are the pros and cons? What would I miss if I bought former or the latter?

I have looked at Android phones but the level of customization baffles me, in the way that would it be possible to have the same productivity and experience on a regular android with BlackBerry apps suite and launcher as that of an Android BlackBerry?

Your thoughts, ownership experiences would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted via CB10
    Depends what software experience you want. A blackberry device running android is very close to a stock android experience with a few helpful productivity tweaks. You can get the majority of the blackberry apps on other androids now, yes, but other devices tend to be very software bloated. Samsung devices are a perfect example.

It all comes down to what is most important to you. For me I picked the best bang for my buck and I'm happy with my dtek60. I know that the Galaxy S7 and Google Pixel offer much better cameras, but for my personal use the dtek60 does just fine. For you, a water proof device with a better camera might be more important I don't know. (S7 of course).

One thing to add in terms of software as well. Say you love the camera features on the LG V20 but you hate their software features, you can just download a different launcher from google play. I use nova launcher prime on every android device because the productivity I get from that launcher with swipe shortcuts is second to none.
    12-11-16 01:35 AM
    If you do not use any of the Samsung apps is it really Bloatware ? I use a BlackBerry VKB, BlackBerry Hub and launcher, etc and Google SMS on a mid grade Samsung. Works great. The main problem is that Samsung is quite slow in updating the OS. If money is no object, I would go with the BlackBerry suite on a Pixel.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-16 01:54 AM
    Isn't also the hub suite ad based or pay on other androids? Free on BlackDroid?
    12-12-16 07:38 AM
    Isn't also the hub suite ad based or pay on other androids? Free on BlackDroid?
    Yes 99 cents us per month for reg phones.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-16 01:46 PM
    Yes 99 cents us per month for reg phones.

Posted via CB10
    That's the essential difference. BlackBerry phones have the BlackBerry suite for free. On other phones, you have a subscription fee or put up with ads. Also, DTEK is only available on BlackBerry phones. I often pop into this app to check on newly installed apps.
    12-15-16 10:58 AM
    Depends what software experience you want. A blackberry device running android is very close to a stock android experience with a few helpful productivity tweaks. You can get the majority of the blackberry apps on other androids now, yes, but other devices tend to be very software bloated. Samsung devices are a perfect example.

It all comes down to what is most important to you. For me I picked the best bang for my buck and I'm happy with my dtek60. I know that the Galaxy S7 and Google Pixel offer much better cameras, but for my personal use the dtek60 does just fine. For you, a water proof device with a better camera might be more important I don't know. (S7 of course).

One thing to add in terms of software as well. Say you love the camera features on the LG V20 but you hate their software features, you can just download a different launcher from google play. I use nova launcher prime on every android device because the productivity I get from that launcher with swipe shortcuts is second to none.
    To each his own. For me, I chose the V20 over the BlackBerry phones because of the removable battery. I need to be able to replace it once or twice a day. Right now, having owned a Z30, Classic and Q10, I'm admittedly apprehensive about now having the DTEK or genuine VKB apps with my new LG device. But having the Hub+ Services is a godsend, and makes an Android device really useful, particularly when it comes to productivity or data management. I may upgrade my Nova Launcher to Prime so that I can get some swiping goodness.
    12-19-16 10:18 PM

Great ideas! So on my V20, as a change of pace to BlackBerry Launcher, I've installed and started to tinker with Nova Launcher Prime, which is very powerful. I, too, am utilizing the swipe up of an icon. For instance, you can direct dial or message one of your contacts right from your home screen. In order to keep some BlackBerry in my Nova experience, I have also placed my BlackBerry Hub on my dock right in between the Phone and App Drawer. Anyone else do something similar?
    12-21-16 02:20 PM
    If the OP wants a physical keyboard then the BlackBerry Priv is the smartphone for you. Otherwise, any smartphone running Google Android will do.
    12-21-16 11:43 PM
    If the OP wants a physical keyboard then the BlackBerry Priv is the smartphone for you. Otherwise, any smartphone running Google Android will do.
    But the OP's original questions seem to center around a current BlackBerry-designed phone or not a BlackBerry. If he wanted to jump into VKB waters, the then DTEK60 could work if he wants to stay in the family. But does the OP really need a new device now? I would suggest he wait for Mercury and in the meantime go buy a Xiaomi Redmond Note 4 for around 200 bucks (US), then install the entire BlackBerry Hub+ suite on the Note 4.

Posted via CB10 on my VZW  Z30 STA100-3 | 10.3.2.2813
    12-22-16 01:07 AM