Hi, I am seeing many apps checking my location constantly for no reason when I barely use the app only about once every other day or so. Now some apps I can disable the location service since it doesn't really need it but some of the apps rely on location to do what's intended to do, but does it really have to check my location every 15 minutes?
    It should check my location when I open the app.

I'm on the Priv and if you have any information please share
    03-09-17 11:36 PM
    Shouldn't really be an issue... Location services will check on a regular basis and then apps will ask for that location.

Lot's of apps do want to run in the background, so if you go near a location... they can inform you of what they can do for you. Example a KeyChain app may hold your rewards cards, but based on location it can also let you know of retailers with sales.

And some apps will allow you to dig into their settings to turn off these "smart" features... some don't.
    03-10-17 10:01 AM
    Shouldn't really be an issue... Location services will check on a regular basis and then apps will ask for that location.

Lot's of apps do want to run in the background, so if you go near a location... they can inform you of what they can do for you. Example a KeyChain app may hold your rewards cards, but based on location it can also let you know of retailers with sales.

And some apps will allow you to dig into their settings to turn off these "smart" features... some don't.
    I think he dont need an explanation, he just want it to stop.

#soon , later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    03-10-17 10:05 AM
    There is no way currently of limiting apps of how often they can check your location. It's however much the developer wants.

I believe it's no different from a BB10 phone; you can disable the location permission, but once it's granted, the app can use it how many times it wants to.
    03-10-17 12:55 PM
    Would the dtek app not help in this. I guess it would stop apps from using your location but if you want certain apps to do it won't limit the number of times it can
    03-11-17 03:04 AM
    Would the dtek app not help in this. I guess it would stop apps from using your location but if you want certain apps to do it won't limit the number of times it can
    The DTEK app only reports when a non system app accesses your location. You need to change the permission yourself to stop it although you can do this directly from the DTEK app.
    03-11-17 03:29 PM
    The DTEK app only reports when a non system app accesses your location. You need to change the permission yourself to stop it although you can do this directly from the DTEK app.
    That is pretty much what I see. The app in question is GasBuddy ( and one more app) they check your location every 5 minutes even when not in use. I asked them if this was necessary and they say it helps them give results faster when opening the app. Even though it takes quite a few seconds to display results when opening the app

I would rather it taking a few extra seconds checking my location upon opening the app than them checking every 5 minutes
    03-13-17 03:11 AM
    I deleted GasBuddy as I found it too intrusive. If you want to keep it installed, I suggest that you restrict it's data use in the background.
    03-13-17 11:49 AM