There are many apps constantly running in my priv and hence my priv's memory usage is at 90% mostly. I have to constantly force stop the apps (apart from OS related). Can you suggest an app that could do the job better
    04-18-17 02:25 AM
    Android is designed to keep most used apps in resident memory and cache them back to storage when they aren't. What you are doing is actually decreasing performance as then it forces the app to load from slower storage. 80-90% is common if you switch between apps alot.

Compare your own device memory usage with others here http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12836002
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-18-17 02:49 AM
    There are many apps constantly running in my priv and hence my priv's memory usage is at 90% mostly. I have to constantly force stop the apps (apart from OS related). Can you suggest an app that could do the job better
    Do it all manually.. Like the other comment android is designed to always use say 90%.. If you use apps that force close apps like Greenify all that is happening is android is replacing that ram with lesser used apps (if your forced closed apps even stay closed).. Resulting in more battery use

So upon launching those frequently used apps you are actually using more battery as it caches stuff again.

I would suggest if you notice something off, check your memory usages of what apps using a lot... but dont worry so much about that, see if those apps are using battery (search the individual apps as less then 1% won't show in battery usage)

An example of an app I always force close if I'm not going to use is autotrader.. It likes to use a few percent even when not used.. But give the app 2 or 3 days of not using and eventually it will drop to 0

I use an app called OS Monitor.. It will show battery temp, ram, CPU and active ip addresses of connected apps
    anon(3641385) and Gayle Lynn like this.
    04-18-17 03:25 AM
    If an app locks pages into memory, that would be an issue - the shouldn't.
    If an app needs more memory than it can grab and the system isn't freeing up.
    Low memory on computers can, or use to, result in page thrashing.
    Free memory though that isn't in use and idle is basically going to waste.

I felt something a Droid devices could benefit from having more RAM. Yet iOS 10 on the iPhone 6S Plus never felt the need. But when I had iOS 9 definitely did. And earlier versions.

Good code can make a world of difference, from compiler to system, to apps, and to knowing how to implement and effort to test and execute.

Clearing an apps cache can help at times but it mag need to rebuild and spent time and effort, and battery plus heat, doing so.
    04-18-17 02:50 PM
    While I agree with all you guys, the actual intent I asked the question was while on a trip my priv started responding very slow as simple as unlocking and showing the home screen, scrolling was horrendous. Post force stopping many apps the phone was back to normal. However yes the apps turn on again automatically. While now the phone is back to normal still wanted to get some inputs from members here.
    04-18-17 06:58 PM
    You can use apps that 'freeze' selected apps until you open that specific app again. A popular one is Greenify. If you regularly experience slow-down issues maybe some cache cleanup or even an OS reload is in order.
    chetz1 likes this.
    04-18-17 07:02 PM
    I do notice slow down when opening app tray sometime. Rebooting phone usually helps that..

But ya you could use something like Greenify but if you notice certain apps reopening on their own might as well leave those ones so they don't drain extra resources
    04-18-17 09:51 PM
    I used Greenify for quite a while, but it seems to drain lots of battery indirectly, as my Priv is not rooted. Thus it uses a workaround by simulating manual user operations to close the apps. But they keep reappearing.

What seems to be helpful though is Dooze: it fakes a VPN and thus can block any network traffic from background apps, if configured to do so (aggressive mode). This seems to effectively keep most of the background apps calm, as they like to communicate to their servers, whenever some change in a wifi connection occurs or the screen turns on. They try to do so, but as no connection succeeds they simply stay idle.
    04-20-17 03:28 PM
    What seems to be helpful though is Dooze: it fakes a VPN....
    Can't seem to find "Dooze" in Google Play. Is the spelling correct?
    04-20-17 03:45 PM
    Can't seem to find "Dooze" in Google Play. Is the spelling correct?
    Sorry, it's "Doze" ;-)
    Here's a link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....yirgalab.dzzz
    04-20-17 04:13 PM
    You're better off clearing out the app cache every week or so, and then rebooting.

System, storage, internal, cached data.

Also, change all your animation speeds to 0.5x in developer settings.
    04-20-17 04:47 PM
    I would like to have an enhancement of the BlackBerry launcher Task-Switcher view for that. A long-press on the closing [X] should be force-close of that app.
    So one could stop those known battery hogger apps, you need sometime but want to really close afterwards.

So not memory but battery and data usage would be my usage for an easy way of force-stop.
    04-23-17 11:57 PM
    Hit the soft key square and clear all apps or just the one you want.
    Alternatively you can go to Settings, Developer Options and turn on Don't keep activities. This will force close your apps when you leave them.
    04-25-17 05:16 AM
    Square + X does not force close the app.
    And thanks for the dev setting, but this will force close ALL apps if you X them.

A fast way for selective force-close would be nice.
    04-25-17 12:51 PM