If any other maker were to produce a PKB device, I would be gone in a NY minute rather than to be given loose claims that are meaningless...
    Actually too bad TCL didn't move forward with whatever plans they had for PALM, I expect they saw there was little hope of two PKB Brands.

Generally the last few non-BlackBerry PKB phones on the market have been very poor offerings.... Maybe that why the PKB form factor is almost extinct? Or is it extinct because the "niche" is too small - or fractured between BBOS, BB10, and Android?
    05-22-17 11:57 AM
    I must say the HP Pre 3 was a superb phone with wildly wide capabilities and a swell tablet with great connectivity... sad the phone was never brought to market in the US... webOS was a mature OS with a giant inventory of apps from devoted developers... killed by Carly
    05-22-17 12:03 PM
    I don't think DTEKs don't get Nougat. They are only 1 years old phones. The phone is not for a few months...
    For a minimal fair play they will have the O Android too.
    05-22-17 01:08 PM
    I must say the HP Pre 3 was a superb phone with wildly wide capabilities and a swell tablet with great connectivity... sad the phone was never brought to market in the US... webOS was a mature OS with a giant inventory of apps from devoted developers... killed by Carly
    In 2010.... $1 Billion dollars wasn't all that much for BlackBerry. Not sure what issues with security they would have had to work out.... but WebOS fans and BlackBerry fans united might have been enough to keep one company alive.
    05-22-17 01:19 PM
    Without Carly
    05-22-17 03:54 PM
    If no Nougat is true, then the Priv is my last BB. Ive been burned before. Mediocre hardware and a software suite i can use on any other android isnt enough to keep me interested in their products.
    mania626 likes this.
    05-22-17 06:47 PM
    If no Nougat is true, then the Priv is my last BB. Ive been burned before. Mediocre hardware and a software suite i can use on any other android isnt enough to keep me interested in their products.
    Well, that won't be a problem as BlackBerry no longer makes devices.
    05-22-17 06:51 PM
    Well, that won't be a problem as BlackBerry no longer makes devices.
    Seriously man. Even if they are made by someone else they still say BlackBerry on them and BlackBerry still stand to gain or lose if people stay or go.
    Let me ask you a question. Has anything BlackBerry ever done been questionable to you or do you have a response to everything blaming circumstances you claim are out of their control?
    xxxmerlinxxx likes this.
    05-22-17 07:05 PM
    Seriously man. Even if they are made by someone else they still say BlackBerry on them and BlackBerry still stand to gain or lose if people stay or go.
    The poster I was responding to did not feel the company BlackBerry has treated him fairly. I simply pointed out that if he chooses a BlackBerry-branded device in the future, he will be dealing with an entirely different company (BlackBerry Mobile, PT BB Merah Putih, or Optiemus Infracom) - no different than if he went to Samsung, LG, or Huawei.
    Last edited by conite; 05-22-17 at 07:24 PM.
    05-22-17 07:14 PM
    The poster I was responding to did not feel the company BlackBerry has treated him fairly. I simply pointed out that if he chooses a BlackBerry-branded device in the future, he will be dealing with an entirely different company - no different than if he went to Samsung, LG, or Huawei.
    His gripe is with the software so no matter who makes the device it's still BlackBerry. Which is exactly the reason why they should support their in market devices or people like the poster you responded to will not buy future BlackBerry devices. Yes BlackBerry devices no matter who is making them. The whole argument of BlackBerry isn't making them now so it okay doesn't matter or hold any water.
    05-22-17 07:19 PM
    Let me ask you a question. Has anything BlackBerry ever done been questionable to you or do you have a response to everything blaming circumstances you claim are out of their control?
    I believe they were at least 4 years late replacing BBOS. Everything that happened in devices since then was rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. BlackBerry clearly decided in the fall of 2013 to structurally abandon devices while they built up software and fulfilled commitments.

The management missteps during that time in devices didn't amount to a hill of beans in the overall picture.

I've been pretty much on board since Chen was hired to pivot to software. I'm also very impressed from what I've seen and the discussions I've had with BlackBerry Mobile.

That's it.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-22-17 07:24 PM
    His gripe is with the software so no matter who makes the device it's still BlackBerry. Which is exactly the reason why they should support their in market devices or people like the poster you responded to will not buy future BlackBerry devices. Yes BlackBerry devices no matter who is making them. The whole argument of BlackBerry isn't making them now so it okay doesn't matter or hold any water.
    I don't agree.

It's on the three licencees to properly manage their contact with BlackBerry with respect to software.
    05-22-17 07:26 PM
    I don't agree.

It's on the three licencees to properly manage their contact with BlackBerry with respect to software.
    Great except he was talking about the Priv. And really, you think if TCL or another licencee doesnt give them a call and say, "hey what's up with the update" then too bad for them? Lol man that's hilarious.
    05-22-17 07:29 PM
    Great except he was talking about the Priv. And really, you think if TCL or another licencee doesnt give them a call and say, "hey what's up with the update" then too bad for them? Lol man that's hilarious.
    You lost me.

He was mad at BlackBerry if Priv does not get Nougat.

He said he won't get another BlackBerry device if that turns out to be true.

I said he would be dealing with another company if he ever wanted to get another BlackBerry-branded device.

You said BlackBerry is supplying the software, so why should anyone have any confidence in a device from one of its licencees.

I said it is solely up to the licencee, as an independent company, to formulate a good contract and obtain sufficient commitments from BlackBerry for the software.

Did I miss something?
    05-22-17 07:34 PM
    You lost me.

He was mad at BlackBerry if Priv does not get Nougat.

He said he won't get another BlackBerry device if that turns out to be true.

I said he would be dealing with another company if he ever wanted to get another BlackBerry-branded device.

You said BlackBerry is supplying the software, so why should anyone have any confidence in a device from one of its licencees.

I said it is solely up to the licencee, as an independent company, to formulate a good contract and obtain sufficient commitments from BlackBerry for the software.

Did I miss something?
    No you didn't miss anything but ultimately the commitment has to comes from then company that has dropped the ball on commitments time and time again. Make sense now. So who cares if TCL has to contact them or they have to take the initiative, his gripe still falls back on BlackBerry regardless of how you spin it.
    05-22-17 07:42 PM
    No you didn't miss anything but ultimately the commitment has to comes from then company that has dropped the ball on commitments time and time again. Make sense now. So who cares if TCL has to contact them or they have to take the initiative, his gripe still falls back on BlackBerry regardless of how you spin it.
    Again, I don't see it this way.

BlackBerry Mobile (and other licencees) makes contractual demands from BlackBerry for whatever specified software updates over whatever specified time frame they demand in return for compensation. BlackBerry is now required by law to comply with its contractual commitments.

Short of BlackBerry-proper going out of business (which now seems highly unlikely), the licencees WILL get what they purchased.
    05-22-17 07:45 PM
    Again, I don't see it this way.

BlackBerry Mobile (and other licencees) makes contractual demands from BlackBerry for whatever specified software updates over whatever specified time frame in return for compensation. BlackBerry is now required by law to comply with its contractual commitments.

Short of BlackBerry-proper going out of business (which it now seems highly unlikely), the licencees will get what they contracted for.
    Great so you've seen the agreements then? Do tell.
    05-22-17 07:49 PM
    Great so you've seen the agreements then? Do tell.
    The point is you're now dealing with the licencee and whatever they demanded from BlackBerry. BlackBerry is out of the loop as far as the consumer is concerned, and whatever track record BlackBerry has for updates on its own devices is moot.
    05-22-17 07:50 PM
    The point is you're now dealing with the licencee and whatever they demanded from BlackBerry. BlackBerry is out of the loop as far as the consumer is concerned.
    You really think BlackBerry has no clue what is going on and will only update software if the licencee demands it? Their security reputation is still on the line and being touted as the most secure devices no matter where they are coming from so don't sit there and say they aren't involved and it's up to the licencee. Come on get real man.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-22-17 07:52 PM
    You really think BlackBerry has no clue what is going on and will only update software if the licencee demands it? Their security reputation is still on the line and being touted as the most secure devices no matter where they are coming from so don't sit there and say they aren't involved and it's up to the licencee. Come on get real man.
    The licence will obviously demand x months of patches, and y major updates for each of its devices.
    05-22-17 07:54 PM
    The licence will obviously demand x months of patches, and y major updates for each of its devices.
    I'm sure they will but to claim BlackBerry is out of the loop is just ludicrous.
    Anyways regardless of all that, still no reason to not update their in market devices.
    05-22-17 07:55 PM
    I'm sure they will but to claim BlackBerry is out of the loop is just ludicrous.
    Anyways regardless of all that, still no reason to not update their in market devices.
    I said they were out of the loop as far as the CUSTOMER (you and me) is concerned. My relationship is exclusively with the licencee and whatever contract they demanded from BlackBerry.
    05-22-17 07:57 PM
    I said they were out of the loop as far as the CUSTOMER (you and me) is concerned. My relationship is exclusively with the licencee and whatever contract they demanded from BlackBerry.
    But they aren't because they still provide software for consumer devices. Both their own and any other Android device available through their app suite so they are not out of the loop with the consumer.
    And if they are the ones providing the actual software updates then you dealing with TCL means nothing. Not only is BlackBerry not out of the loop, they are the fricken loop.
    05-22-17 08:01 PM
    But they aren't because they still provide software for consumer devices. Both their own and any other Android device available through their app suite so they are not out of the loop with the consumer.
    And if they are the ones providing the actual software updates then you dealing with TCL means nothing. Not only is BlackBerry not out of the loop, they are the fricken loop.
    I think you're just punking me now. Cheers.
    05-22-17 08:06 PM
    I think their security expertise is now mostly purchased outside firms... the rest makes their devices into toast as bloat requiring gigantic batteries and shrunken displays to run as in k1
    05-22-17 11:46 PM
82 1234