Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By co22
  • 1 Post By kojimasec
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Symantec PGP with BES 5.0.4

I have a client that would like the best possible encryption setup within a BlackBerry environment.
    I have read that PGP is the way to go so I have setup a test environment with AD, MS Exchange 2010 SP3 sitting on one VM, BES 5.0.4 installed on another VM and PGP Universal Server 3.2.1 also installed on its own VM.
    Ideally, I want users to have to enter a password to be able to open their emails on their BB handheld with PGP encryption.
    I have setup the BES policy to use PGP as per the following document:
    http://www.symantec.com/business/sup...&id=HOWTO59333
    One thing I was unsure about when configuring the PGP Universal Server Address, I used keys.domain.local for the URL which is the internal URL for accessing the PGP server. Does this need to be the external URL? Does the PGP server need to be accessible from the internet?

Can someone please point me into the next direction?
    I understand that the PGP support package needs to be installed\enabled on the BB handheld. How do I go about this?
    Some forums say you need to download and install manually on BB, Symantec says there is an activator file that is required when purchasing the PGP Support Package. http://www.symantec.com/business/sup...&id=TECH149101
    I have a NFR license for PGP Universal Server for testing purposes, I don’t think this includes the PGP Support Package.

Once I have support package installed, what’s next?
    If there’s someone out there that’s set this up, please help.
    Thanks
    Diego Oviedo likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

KB03621-How to reload BlackBerry Device software and applications using BlackBerry Desktop Software

The link shows you how to install the support package. Essentially it's a module which, while not installed by default on your BlackBerry, is present in the BB OS app loader for your version of the OS. The linked KB article shows you how to use desktop manager (now BlackBerry Desktop) software to install the module to your BlackBerry. IIRC there's no "activation" per se of the client software. I've never installed the server software.

I've always thought, like you, that PGP would add the ultimate level of security to the BlackBerry but unlike you I've never had a copy of the PGP server to test this out. Sounds like fun. Could you please either PM me or reply back to this thread when you have it installed?
    chronic BlackBerry addict and abuser
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Symantec PGP with BES 5.0.4

"...I used keys.domain.local for the URL which is the internal URL for accessing the PGP server. Does this need to be the external URL? Does the PGP server need to be accessible from the internet?"

You need to use the external URL keys.yourdomain.com. If you want to receive encrypted mails from external users then the PGP server needs to be accesible from the internet. Even if your messaging environment involve only internal users, you should use the external URL when configuring your PGP Universal Server.

"I understand that the PGP support package needs to be installed\enabled on the BB handheld. How do I go about this?
    Some forums say you need to download and install manually on BB, Symantec says there is an activator file that is required when purchasing the PGP Support Package...."

PGP funcionality is included (but not enabled) in every blackberry device. To enable it you need to download an .EXE file which allows you to install the PGP support package for BB in the device using BB Desktop Manager. The .exe file is sent to you when you buy the PGP support package for BB license.
    The PGP Universal Server you have for testing purposes does NOT include the .exe file to install PGP Support Package on your device.

"Once I have support package installed, what’s next?"

Next step is to do the enterprise activation on your device. When activation is complete, the device will prompt you to enroll with your PGP universal server. At this step you must have created already the PGP key for that email address and uploaded it to the PGP server.

PGP keys can be created using the PGP Desktop's trial version.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi Diego, Please let me know if you solved your problem i am in the same situation.
    Diego Oviedo likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by kojimasec View Post
    Hi Diego, Please let me know if you solved your problem i am in the same situation.
    Hi kojimasec, I dont have any problem I was just explaining to co22 how to do it.
    Not sure if they read my post
    Thanked by:
    typeszh (06-05-2013) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Any luck with this? I'm actually doing the same thing but with BESx instead. I have actually purchased the PGP Support licenses but waiting on Symantec to provide a download link for the actual software.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Im not sure it will work on BESx. I think it works on BES 5.X.X and below only
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Only on BES 5.0.4. Have several clients who are in pgp. No BESX

Posted via CB10