Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Enterprise Activation Hangs

Enterprise activation on my 9530 hangs after enabling my BES email account and my calendar. It does not error out. It just doesn't go farther. EA did work a few weeks ago with no problem on my Bold (which my wife appropriated). Steps I've taken, while wiping the device before each attempt:

-Had the BES admin delete and re-add my BB mailbox.
    -I've scanned the contacts pst file; no errors.
    -Confirming I don't have redirection on in either my Storm or my BB Desktop Manager.

I've been banging my head against the wall until I hear the mushy sound. The BES admin has thrown up his hands. I'm wondering if this is a Storm OS problem, but I'm not seeing posts by others with this issue. Any advice will be appreciated.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I am having issues with my Enterprise Activation hanging as well. I worked great on my Pearl for over a year before I bought the Storm on Friday. I have had our IT guys reset my activation password and then I even got them to remove my email from the BES and Re-add me. All the storm does is set there and say “Activating...", then it will say
    Retrying..." and it just keeps doing that repeatedly. Has anyone successfully gotten their storm to activate, and was there anything special that had to be done? I have WIPED this thing three times trying to get it to work.

Thanks,

Reese
    CrackBerry User

i have mine on BES w/o a hitch.
    I removed by account from BES first, than added it back in as a new user and activated. took it the first time.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Try this. Seriously, I had the same problem (and have on other Blackberry's). This has worked for me in the past, and did on the Storm too.

Go to Enterprise Activation. In the Password field, type the following: hit the 123 key until it locks (equivelant of the old ALT key).

Then, type 9 ! 6 /

This is the equivalent on the old keyboard of typing ALT+C+N+F+G (Config)

A screen will come up showing Over the Air wireless options. Turn Wireless Sync OFF. Save. Back out and wait a minute. Now, go back in using the same method (ALT 9 ! 6 /). Turn Wireless Sync ON. Save. Back out.

Enterprise Activation will Start automatically and should complete. If it does NOT start automatically, pull the battery. When the OS reboots, Activation will start.

Let me know if it works.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    t of Guinness

Don't forget to turn off your SPAM filters, when you activate on the BES, the BES will send and email to your account, if it gets caught in the spam filter it won't activate. You will never see this email, unless it's in your spam folder, I had 3 until I remembered to set spam filter to off or low. Once I fixed that, I had to reactivate the email goes thru to Outlook, then activation starts, then the email disappears.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Thanks everyone. I called Verizon. They duplicated my exact issue on a virgin Storm they have. Apparently it is a BES server configuration issue. That's why some people can activate, others can't. I've asked the BES admins to contact RIM. I'll let you know when they get back to me.
    Jeffrey Kent aka Genghis Khent
    My blog: Mobile Barbarian
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    t of Guinness

Oh yeah, forgot to mention if you're not paying the 45 bucks for data, then your phone is not provisioned for the BES. If you're paying 30 then you just have a regular ol consumer service books, which won't connect to a BES, you will have to pay an extra 15 for those.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by cadsystems View Post
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention if you're not paying the 45 bucks for data, then your phone is not provisioned for the BES. If you're paying 30 then you just have a regular ol consumer service books, which won't connect to a BES, you will have to pay an extra 15 for those.

Is this new for the Strom? I had the cheap $24.99 10 MB Limit plan for my Pearl and it worked perfect. Also, I didnít upgrade to get the Strom, but paid full retail. I told the guy at version not to change my plan b/c it worked. Now, I am going to have to pay extra per month if I want to use our BES server?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Per Verizon, you need the $45 plan to connect to your BES. I'm not saying this is correct. Rather, this is just what they told me.

I'm on the phone now with my BES admin on hold with RIM's support line for Verizon and the BES admins. I'll let you know what I learn.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

I too am on hold with Verizon and RIM...and my company's help desk. My BES email was working great ALL weekend Fri, Sat and Sun...and stopped working at 10:30 this morning. Verizon says I'm provisioned correctly...my IT guy has deleted and re-added me...still nothing...just stuck at "Activating" again...this is a real headache.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    PIN
    mypin ...didn't work. :P

Quote Originally Posted by rewalker View Post
    Is this new for the Strom? I had the cheap $24.99 10 MB Limit plan for my Pearl and it worked perfect. Also, I didnít upgrade to get the Strom, but paid full retail. I told the guy at version not to change my plan b/c it worked. Now, I am going to have to pay extra per month if I want to use our BES server?
    There is a data plan that is specifically for BES. This is because there is different provisioning within the carrier's systems to allow the use of the enterprise server. It has been like that since I got my first BB last year.

Without that plan or provisioning, the BES activation will never complete.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jokerls240 View Post
    There is a data plan that is specifically for BES. This is because there is different provisioning within the carrier's systems to allow the use of the enterprise server. It has been like that since I got my first BB last year.

Without that plan or provisioning, the BES activation will never complete.
    Most definitely not true. I've been on the Unlimited BB 450 plan since Friday and my BES has been working just fine. The only issue has been that my company's Exchange server just started having issues and that's apparently what my problem is not getting emails via BES...they are not communicating properly to one another.

But other than that, any BB plan will work with BES.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by radioboy View Post
    I too am on hold with Verizon and RIM...and my company's help desk. My BES email was working great ALL weekend Fri, Sat and Sun...and stopped working at 10:30 this morning. Verizon says I'm provisioned correctly...my IT guy has deleted and re-added me...still nothing...just stuck at "Activating" again...this is a real headache.
    radioboy, FWIW, I got past activating. It went all the way to Calendar completed (and did sync the Calendar). Then nothing. Zero. Just white spaces below calendar. And no error out or time out.

I just got off the phone with the BES admin and RIM. Per RIM, the Storm did not require any changes on the BES. They did suggest that when I am re-added, to add me as a "static agent." Not sure what that means. But the BES admin does. That's what's important.

I should hear back from the BES guys within a few hours. I'll keep you posted ... by posting.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    t of Guinness

Is this new for the Strom? I had the cheap $24.99 10 MB Limit plan for my Pearl and it worked perfect. Also, I didn’t upgrade to get the Strom, but paid full retail. I told the guy at version not to change my plan b/c it worked. Now, I am going to have to pay extra per month if I want to use our BES server?
    I'm not sure if it's old or new. We've always used the 45 unlimited plan provisioned to be on a BES. Sometimes the devices are not provisioned right out of the box, and we have to get on the horn with provider to reprovision the device for BES. Its usually fairly simple. Also make sure the email that the BES sends isn't going to the junk email folder.
    CrackBerry Newbie

First off, I just got off the phone with VZW. My $24.99 plan did work for my Pearl, but it will not work for the Strom. Also, for anyone who has been able to successfully activate on a BES, how long did it take? I know I used to see the "initializing server" or "checking security" or some other message like that fairly quickly on other Blackberries. Does the Storm just take a lot longer to activate?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    t of Guinness

First off, I just got off the phone with VZW. My $24.99 plan did work for my Pearl, but it will not work for the Strom. Also, for anyone who has been able to successfully activate on a BES, how long did it take? I know I used to see the "initializing server" or "checking security" or some other message like that fairly quickly on other Blackberries. Does the Storm just take a lot longer to activate?
    Mine took about 15 minutes total, although for some reason "the network" wasn't working indoors that day so I went outside to activate.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I finally got mine to activate. The BES provisioning was one issue, and the services books were another. Now I can really put it to the test. Thanks.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

I also was finally able to activate. 2 issues. One (per the BES admin) was a problem with the synchronization service on the BES. The other could have been issues with my ost file, fixed with scanpst and scanost. I suspect the latter was not the roadblock, but it never hurts to fix these things. Anyway, on to ... other problems!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    t of Guinness

Quote Originally Posted by GenghisKhent View Post
    I also was finally able to activate. 2 issues. One (per the BES admin) was a problem with the synchronization service on the BES. The other could have been issues with my ost file, fixed with scanpst and scanost. I suspect the latter was not the roadblock, but it never hurts to fix these things. Anyway, on to ... other problems!
    I've also seen issues with the way outlook is setup, if you have "Use Cached Exchange Mode" checked in your outlook settings sometimes it breaks activation. I think an update fixes this, but I can't remember if it's a RIM update or an MS update. It's been a while since i've seen it happen.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

Quote Originally Posted by cadsystems View Post
    I've also seen issues with the way outlook is setup, if you have "Use Cached Exchange Mode" checked in your outlook settings sometimes it breaks activation. I think an update fixes this, but I can't remember if it's a RIM update or an MS update. It's been a while since i've seen it happen.
    Hmmm...I've had cached exchange mode for a while and successfully activated a number of BB's.
    CrackBerry User

k, I'm at a loss too. My storm goes through and gets stuck on the activating enterprise screen, just says activating. I just installed BES for me on my own personal exchange server. and It is up and running. When I cancel the activation on my storm, and redo it, I get emails from my BES server (can see it on my outlook entourage) every time I start the activation process...

Any ideas? Not having my contacts/info is killing me on my storm!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,298 Global Posts

most likely this is a BES issue. i had this issue after i setup my BES and then realize some issues with my BES installation. once i fixed my BES setup, this was fixed.

your BES admins probably suck
    CrackBerry User

I'm the BES admin, and am a newbie. any tips on troubleshooting whats going on?
    CrackBerry User

I activated my Storm yesterday on our corporate BES. At first, there were problems, and I only had a temp license because my IT Admin had not updated the BES server. He didn't think that anyone would have the Storm so quickly, and he hadn't planned on doing the update required to activate the Storm and Bold until after the holidays. LOL I think that he sensed that I was going to have a breakdown, and he agreed to do the update to the BES yesterday afternoon. Once activation started on my Storm, it took about 3.5 hours, and it totally looked like it froze at 94%. It was stuck on 94% for probably 3 hours alone. I did two battery pulls, then I synced it my computer, did another battery pull, and then finally it activated and all has been right in the world since...LOL
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    t of Guinness

Quote Originally Posted by GenghisKhent View Post
    Hmmm...I've had cached exchange mode for a while and successfully activated a number of BB's.
    I believe the issue had been fixed. Like I said I haven't seen it in a while, but that doesn't mean everyone has run the appropriate updates for the fix. Just throwing it out there as a possibility.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast