Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BES Epress with Exchange 2007 and Server 2008

Question: Anyone see any reasons that I cannot install the new BES Express on a server running Server 2003 while our Exchange 2007 is running on a different server running Server 2008? Both are on the same network. Server with Server 2008 and Exchange 2007 is 64 bit and new BES Express is not 64 bit compatible, so I must install it on the 32 bit box which is the Server 2003.
    Based on what I am reading on BB site - from the links they sent me after signing up for BES Express, it appears I can, however; am looking for a little more solid answer and maybe someone who had done this.
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    CrackBerry User

No issues. I have Server 2008 x64 with Exchange 2007, and VMware Server 2003 x86 running BES Express. Works perfect!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks!! I will be installing Friday.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Posted on the comments section:

"Just letting everyone know that I just installed (VM Environment - Exchange 2003) the new BES Express.

My 9700 is running BIS.

Only thing I didn't like was that the 9700 had to be attached (USB)to a PC running the WEB ADMIN console. It also seemed to take a little longer to push the service books and activation out to the 9700 compared to BES OTA activation.

HTML emails work !

Excellent so far - and it's free!!

This should open up BB to a lot more companies!! No need for expensive BES anymore."
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by mikej7 View Post
    Question: Anyone see any reasons that I cannot install the new BES Express on a server running Server 2003 while our Exchange 2007 is running on a different server running Server 2008? Both are on the same network. Server with Server 2008 and Exchange 2007 is 64 bit and new BES Express is not 64 bit compatible, so I must install it on the 32 bit box which is the Server 2003.
    Based on what I am reading on BB site - from the links they sent me after signing up for BES Express, it appears I can, however; am looking for a little more solid answer and maybe someone who had done this.
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

This is from the system requirements for BESX:

System requirements: BlackBerry Enterprise Server
    Any of the following operating systems:
    標indows Serverョ 2003 SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
    標indows Server 2003 R2 SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
    標indows Server 2008 SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
    標indowsョ Small Business Server 2003
    標indows Small Business Server 2008

Why do you say it's not 64-bit compatible?
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by jscass2000 View Post
    This is from the system requirements for BESX:

System requirements: BlackBerry Enterprise Server
    Any of the following operating systems:
    標indows Serverョ 2003 SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
    標indows Server 2003 R2 SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
    標indows Server 2008 SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
    標indowsョ Small Business Server 2003
    標indows Small Business Server 2008

Why do you say it's not 64-bit compatible?
    http://na.blackberry.com/eng/service...quirements.pdf
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

On the email they sent me with the links for installation they have a step by step tutorial to walk you through the installation process and it very clearly states in one of the steps that it cannot be installed on box that is 64 bit. This was confirmed in another post as well, it must be installed on a 32 bit box.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

OK - BB has conflicting information on installation, obviously different people were involved. Just want to confirm that there is someone who successfully has installed BES Express on a 64 Bit box running both Server 2008 and Exchange 2007.
    Anyone?
    Thanks!!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    PIN
    25F9925C

BESX installed on 32bit 2003 box, exchange 2007 on 64 bit 2008 box, installed fine, but i'm having a mapi issue... and yes CDO/MAPI was updated and installed pre install of BESX i'm having BES withdrawal atm til i have time to troubleshoot
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1 View Post
    Posted on the comments section:

"Just letting everyone know that I just installed (VM Environment - Exchange 2003) the new BES Express.

My 9700 is running BIS.

Only thing I didn't like was that the 9700 had to be attached (USB)to a PC running the WEB ADMIN console. It also seemed to take a little longer to push the service books and activation out to the 9700 compared to BES OTA activation.

HTML emails work !

Excellent so far - and it's free!!

This should open up BB to a lot more companies!! No need for expensive BES anymore."
    Why did you have to hook up your 9700 to the webconsole? I just setup the user, gave a activation key, went to advance options, enterprise activation, type email and key (aka) password. Done.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Is your user BES or BIS?

Under BIS I have no Enterprise activation option on the BB.

Cheers
    Last edited by Rob1; 03-03-2010 at 06:14 AM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I can also confirm that BESX 5 installs on 64 bit OS/hardware. I installed BESX 5 on a Win2008 SBS server w/exchange 2007 running on an HP DL360 server (64 bit). Everything works fine.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Same here : BESX5 installed today on an ESXi VMWare virtual guest running Windows Server 2008 x64 SP2 and Exchange 2007 SP2. I've successfully added a user, but still have to get a fresh handheld to activate.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1 View Post
    Is your user BES or BIS?

Under BIS I have no Enterprise activation option on the BB.

Cheers
    So, thats you connect a BIS user. I was wondering how it was done. BES was not more money for me, so it did not matter.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I believe everything is setup correctly, but am getting "The BlackBerry Administration Service was unable to retrieve specific device attributes from the device that is connected to your computer." when I try to assign a device to my user. I'm on a BIS plan, but apparently if on a BIS plan you can activate it through USB...just not OTA.

I also read that it's suppose to work on 64-bit in the Installation and Configuration Guide
    Verizon Storm 9530 v5.0.0.323
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
    Same here : BESX5 installed today on an ESXi VMWare virtual guest running Windows Server 2008 x64 SP2 and Exchange 2007 SP2. I've successfully added a user, but still have to get a fresh handheld to activate.
    Handheld OTA-activated this morning, using a BES data plan. Everything's OK.