Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BDS or wait for BES10

I'm sure every business customer using Blackberries in-house with a BES/BESX server is asking the same question, yet I can't find any confirmed information, which has me a bit worried. I've played around with BDS with my Playbook but supposedly a lot of the issues are due to the Playbook OS and not BDS exactly. So if I have a BB10 device activated on a BDS CAL, what will I lose/gain compared to my activated BB9900 on BESX? I know I can get a list of the policies from both, but we don't restrict. I want to know specifically what features/functions that I get from BESX I won't get in BDS. If I can live with them, I'll activate the BB10s on BDS and when BES10 comes out I'll then activate it on that, but if there are key features that I use a lot, I'll just have to wait to buy a BB10.

Features/Functions on BESX example: Device is activated on our network inside our firewall so I can access internal sites and my network shares for docs (to and from my device), device switch isn't needed as much using Desktop Manager as BESX actually stores your fonts, phone settings etc.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463
    Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum...
    Z10 (v10.2.x.xxx Rogers), Playbook (v2.1.0.1314) | Rooted SGS IV
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I understand what BES10 is and does, but BES10 will not be launched with BB10s. I'm trying to find out what I will NOT be getting by activating a BB10 on BDS only versus waiting months for BES10.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

From what I'm reading, even "tasks" and "Notes" from outlook may not sync as they don't with iPhones/Active Sync. Hoping that "BES 10" is not just a management tool like Fusion is today as Fusion doesn't add "features" it just allows you to "manage" all devices from one screen.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463

Quote Originally Posted by luvsql View Post
    From what I'm reading, even "tasks" and "Notes" from outlook may not sync as they don't with iPhones/Active Sync. Hoping that "BES 10" is not just a management tool like Fusion is today as Fusion doesn't add "features" it just allows you to "manage" all devices from one screen.
    Who said BES 10 would not launch with BB10? It has been slated to be released Q1 2013. Why would they release the devices and not have it ready?

Global Posts
    6,030 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

BDS is the MDM solution that allows anything other than traditional BBOS devices to be manageable. In other words, BDS is the subsystem that manages iOS, Android, PlayBook, and, yes, BB10 devices, with Fusion being the unified console for device management.

All that BES10 will do is integrate these components a little better. So far as I'm aware, BES10 doesn't bring any major new functionality than what's available now.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB9C463

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    BDS is the MDM solution that allows anything other than traditional BBOS devices to be manageable. In other words, BDS is the subsystem that manages iOS, Android, PlayBook, and, yes, BB10 devices, with Fusion being the unified console for device management.

All that BES10 will do is integrate these components a little better. So far as I'm aware, BES10 doesn't bring any major new functionality than what's available now.
    UDS provides device management for iOS and Android, not BDS.
    CrackBerry User

There's some confusion about what BDS is or what BES10 is.

BES10 is a suite of products for managing different kinds of devices. BDS is part of that suite. BES10 contains a product called "Studio", which allows admins to manage BDS, UDS and BES domains via a single UI.

BES10 WILL be released with BB10.

Global Posts
    6,030 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by Oniberry View Post
    UDS provides device management for iOS and Android, not BDS.
    Oops, I stand corrected. Thanks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

If you read some other RIM documents, they're "enchancing" BES 10 in the summer and fall. They should not have renamed Mobile Fusion to BES10 because it's not BES/BESX, unless I'm mistaken but no one seems to know.

If you use BES/BESX as a solution for all your Blackberries NOW and have to use BDS (ie no enhancements to BDS to say allow a Playbook to connect behind a corporate firewall) what's the point? I can just use existing Mobile Fusion with our existing BDS and our existing BESX for all our current devices. BB10 would be like a Playbook is now? I don't get it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    328 Global Posts

Some of the confusion might be that it had been said that it wouldn't be until May that BDS and UDS would be integrated into a single component and be able to go on the same server as BES 5.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Here's the confusion. Just watched the Webcast for the Blackberry Enterprise Vision and Roadmap. BES as we all know it now stands for Blackberry Enterprise SERVER. BES10 is Blackberry Enterprise SERVICE. It's not what we think BES is. In Q1, the BES10 is only a management studio like Fusion is NOW. If activating a BB10 device in Q1, it will use BB Balance and you have no option but to use it. in Q2, the following are available: Ability to disable BB Balance, granular controls and hardware featuree settings (what BES5.x does now), corporate liable disclaimer and single server installation.

If you want all the features of your current BB activated on BES/BESX, you'll need to wait until Q2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BDS or wait for BES10-enterprise-map.jpg  
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Quite a bit of confusion on it. I'm not an expert but I've gone to a few of the presentations and read most of the lit available and this was how it was presented to me:
    Blackberry Enterprise Server 5 manages Blackberry 7 and earlier
    Universal Device Service manages Android and iPhone
    Blackberry Device Service manages Playbooks
    Blackberry Mobile Fusion gives you a single place to manage all 3
    Blackberry Device Service will be upgraded to BES10 and manage Playbooks and BB10s.
    I'm currently running BES5.04, BDS6 and Blackberry Mobile Fusion, I'm using Lotus Traveler for Androids and iPhones as its so much more user friendly then UDS.
    Blackberry Bold 9900 <- Blackberry Torch
    <- Bold 9700 <- Curve 8900 <- Curve 8310
    <- Blackberry 8800 <- Blackberry 7250
    <- Blackberry 6750 <- RIM 957
    and a Playbook and a BB 10 Alpha
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

When the q2 upgrade occurs and we can disable balance what happens to content in the personal side? Does the content from work and personal merge?
    CrackBerry User

you remove balance it remove the email account from device
    My hangout Drop by if you want.BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    Rocking the Z10 and PlayBook 64 on the BES I maintain
    Follow me http://twitter.com/knottyrope
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

Default Re: BDS or wait for BES10

So if we enable on bes10 and then when we can disable balance we need to reactivate on bes again?