View Poll Results: New camera, yeah or nay?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great

3 10.00%
  • Not what I expected, but good enough for me

11 36.67%
  • What were they thinking?!?

16 53.33%
    Here are some specs for what I think will be Aristo's camera chip:
    Camera
    • 3264 x 2448 pixels (8-megapixel)
    • 1000 mV/lux-sec (20% better than the Z10 for low light pictures)
    • Zero shutter lag
    • Support for 10-bit RAW RGB output (If only BB would let us use that)
    • All the standard re/sub-sampling filters
    • Automatic black level calibration (ABLC)
    • Electronic image stabilization (EIS)
    • Backside illumination (BSI)

Video recording
    • 8MP - 30fps
    • 720p - 30fps, 60fps
    • 1080p - 30fps

It seems it will be dual-sourced.

Seems pretty standard for 2013.
    What do you think?
    Last edited by ofutur; 07-19-13 at 08:50 AM.
    Rowan M and sergey_IL like this.
    07-17-13 05:18 PM
    I think it should be good. Low light was the biggest complaint on the Z and this looks to improve on this. A step in the right direction for sure!
    07-17-13 05:20 PM
    Edited...
    The Z10 uses the camera sensor of the Galaxy S3, so that Samsung driver is for that. The 13MP Sony sensor is very old and doesn't record video at a decent framerate, so I'm not sure why it's there...

So, I'm pretty confident that this new chip, which only started to appear with 10.2 is the one.
    Last edited by ofutur; 07-17-13 at 07:02 PM.
    07-17-13 05:50 PM
    can bb integrate some of that in the Z10???
    07-17-13 06:00 PM
    I dont know why but i dont think its 8 think it will be 10-13.
    07-23-13 06:13 PM
    Well, they don't have drivers for it yet then :P
    07-23-13 06:23 PM
    Wheres the who cares option. My phone isnt for taking DSLR photos, its for the odd time I take a picture of my laptop screen or the place I am currently at.

8mp was miraculous last year but apparently it's complete crap now.
    07-23-13 06:31 PM
    BlackBerry has never really put high spec cameras in their phones, i don't see more then an 8MP camera beign needed for simple point and shoot photos that will be uploaded to facebook or instagram, for those the pictures are resized anyway and made smaller. i would hope they improve the lense and brightness.

i'm pretty happy wit hthe quality of images from my Z10, they coudl improve autofocus speed and also improve stabilization, besides that its not a bad point and shoot
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-23-13 07:24 PM
    The Z10 uses the camera sensor of the Galaxy S3, so that Samsung driver is for that.

I don't know why you think they need a Samsung driver, the camera module in the Z10 is made by Omnivision, who has nothing to do with Samsung. Omnivision is actually a US company, based in Silicon Valley.

And Omnivision are already producing an improved version of the camera module in the Z10 with MUCH better low-light performance, way better than the 20% improvement speculated here, as I recall.

But the camera in a smartphone is far more than simply the camera module. Software makes a huge difference. Which is why I still maintain that they should partner with a real photographic company to make their smartphone camera. (My personal fave is Nikon, who has been fretting about the shift to smartphone cameras from compact digital cameras, and trying to figure out what to do about that.)

But I'd imagine that Blackberry doesn't sell enough devices to interest a company like Nikon to associate their brand with such a product, especially if the photographic aspect were not highlighted.
    MisterMe11 likes this.
    07-24-13 12:55 AM
    Oh and just for the record, I have no personal or business relationship with Omnivision.
    07-24-13 12:58 AM
    I don't know why you think they need a Samsung driver, the camera module in the Z10 is made by Omnivision, who has nothing to do with Samsung. Omnivision is actually a US company, based in Silicon Valley.

And Omnivision are already producing an improved version of the camera module in the Z10 with MUCH better low-light performance, way better than the 20% improvement speculated here, as I recall.

But the camera in a smartphone is far more than simply the camera module. Software makes a huge difference. Which is why I still maintain that they should partner with a real photographic company to make their smartphone camera. (My personal fave is Nikon, who has been fretting about the shift to smartphone cameras from compact digital cameras, and trying to figure out what to do about that.)

But I'd imagine that Blackberry doesn't sell enough devices to interest a company like Nikon to associate their brand with such a product, especially if the photographic aspect were not highlighted.
    EDIT: Scratch what I said earlier in this very post. I just remembered that the Z10 DID NOT have the Omnivision component for the rear camera. I'm checking again now...

The camera component in the current revision of the Astro IS from Omnivision (the 5MP ones are from STM) and it still has the driver for the Samsung.
    They have also have partnered with a very good company for the picture processing part, so they know that this part of the process is important and we'll see what the end result is.
    Last edited by ofutur; 07-24-13 at 05:33 AM.
    MisterMe11 likes this.
    07-24-13 05:15 AM
    So is the A10 using the Omnivision component that Omnitech referred to (with the "way better than the 20% improvement")?
    Do you know the name of the company they partnered with for the picture processing?

I think one reason why Canon and Nikon haven't partnered with a phone company is because they would want most of the branding and the lion's share of the profit from such a phone!

EDIT: Scratch what I said earlier in this very post. I just remembered that the Z10 DID NOT have the Omnivision component for the rear camera. I'm checking again now...

The camera component in the current revision of the Astro IS from Omnivision (the 5MP ones are from STM) and it still has the driver for the Samsung.
    They have also have partnered with a very good company for the picture processing part, so they know that this part of the process is important and we'll see what the end result is.
    07-24-13 10:12 PM
    So is the A10 using the Omnivision component that Omnitech referred to (with the "way better than the 20% improvement")?
    Do you know the name of the company they partnered with for the picture processing?
    OV8835
    OmniVision

They are using Aptina and Fujitsu ISP. Not sure which in Astro. Will take another look once we get a new OS.
    07-25-13 06:02 AM
    I don't know why you think they need a Samsung driver, the camera module in the Z10 is made by Omnivision, who has nothing to do with Samsung. Omnivision is actually a US company, based in Silicon Valley....
    So, according to a hardware teardown, it is the 8830, but I can't find any drivers for it.
    07-25-13 06:27 AM
    Here are some specs for what I think will be Aristo's camera chip:
    Camera
    • 3264 x 2448 pixels (8-megapixel)
    • 1000 mV/lux-sec (20% better than the Z10 for low light pictures)
    • Zero shutter lag
    • Support for 10-bit RAW RGB output (If only BB would let us use that)
    • All the standard re/sub-sampling filters
    • Automatic black level calibration (ABLC)
    • Electronic image stabilization (EIS)
    • Backside illumination (BSI)

Video recording
    • 8MP - 30fps
    • 720p - 30fps, 60fps
    • 1080p - 30fps

It seems it will be dual-sourced.

Seems pretty standard for 2013.
    What do you think?
    Nope. Same cam ad on the two year old PlayBook.

Using a BlackBerry Z10 ** OS:10.1.0.4651
    07-27-13 02:55 PM