Like lots of you I've been wondering why...WHY BlackBerry would produce a new legacy OS device. Why devote expense and resources to an OS you must hope will be replaced soon by BlackBerry 10? Sure, it's still popular in parts of the world, but the last Curve and Bolds are perfectly good devices that don't really need updating - a hardware update won't improve the OS.

Finally this morning, after seeing the photos, a good reason came to me. At the moment, the BBOS is selling well enough that they must still be manufacturing them - fine. They must also be manufacturing a number of different models and colours of Bold and Curve. All these different models will ramp up production costs, and none will be selling THAT well to justify that.

But the new BBOS device is clearly using the same chassis and keyboard as the Q5. It can use the same colours too. So this standardised production will bring costs down for both.

And since the new BBOS is a mix, somewhat, of Bold and Curve, it can replace production of both. Instead of paying to produce a dozen lines of BBOS, BlackBerry can pay to produce one - and share that cost with BB10. This 'new' BBOS device could in fact largely be intended to reduce the cost of BBOS, and therefore its albatross like weight around BlackBerry's neck.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 01:34 AM
    I haven't looked at either device closely but your thoughts do make sense. Having said that one can make a similar case for running bbos in a q10 body.

Not sure I like it but it is interesting for sure.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 05:55 AM
    I haven't looked at either device closely but your thoughts do make sense. Having said that one can make a similar case for running bbos in a q10 body.

Not sure I like it but it is interesting for sure.

Posted via CB10
    If this one proves successful as a low end device I don't see why they'll not make a new mid end bbos device based on the Q10. Stranger things have happened.

I think we are entering a new faze where people will stop chasing high end devices and the market will settle on different values like long battery life.
    07-09-13 06:02 AM
    If this one proves successful as a low end device I don't see why they'll not make a new mid end bbos device based on the Q10. Stranger things have happened.

I think we are entering a new faze where people will stop chasing high end devices and the market will settle on different values like long battery life.
    Does BB have an answer for these devices - at the same price point:

Nokia�s Asha 501 Phone Claims 48-Day Battery Life - ABC News

Ascend G510 released in SA | ITWeb

BlackBerry Curve 9320 vs Nokia Lumia 520 - Compare Phones - More Cell Phone

Basically needs a cheap 4 inch touch phone that can run BIS in selected markets and has a great battery. Given BB's history with all touch phones - it would take a miracle. The physical key/small screen market will never be as popular as the larger screen all touch market. Yes , sell the 9720 but that is not the answer.

As far as the 9900 is concerned - BB charges big bucks for this phone. Either improve it or can it.
    07-09-13 11:50 AM
    Does BB have an answer for these devices - at the same price point:

Nokia�s Asha 501 Phone Claims 48-Day Battery Life - ABC News

Ascend G510 released in SA | ITWeb

BlackBerry Curve 9320 vs Nokia Lumia 520 - Compare Phones - More Cell Phone

Basically needs a cheap 4 inch touch phone that can run BIS in selected markets and has a great battery. Given BB's history with all touch phones - it would take a miracle. The physical key/small screen market will never be as popular as the larger screen all touch market. Yes , sell the 9720 but that is not the answer.

As far as the 9900 is concerned - BB charges big bucks for this phone. Either improve it or can it.
    I'm not sure what your point is with those devices, the Nokia one looks like too much of a compromise with a tiny screen and no 3G.

BlackBerry needs to go after the keyboard users, there's still millions of them around, probably more then touch screen users still. Forget about touch screen on OS7, BB10 is for that slice of the market.
    07-09-13 05:41 PM
    The thing I don't understand is why they didn't release the bloody thing last year when BlackBerry had nothing to offer!
    07-09-13 07:21 PM
    The thing I don't understand is why they didn't release the bloody thing last year when BlackBerry had nothing to offer!
    This has been in the planing a long time, somebody must've had the bright idea to put it on hold. Sometimes I get the feeling the cogs at BB are moving very slow.
    07-09-13 07:31 PM