I am planning on purchasing a BlackBerry 9720.
    I read in many places that the blackberry service and its essential parts(encryption, compression) etc have been discontinued.
    Now, I am having a regular plan which I am using with my nokia phone currently.

I need to know, if I purchase this BlackBerry 9720, will I be able to use this current plan and be able to use BBM, Mail, Internet as per my existing plan or I need to get the BlackBerry Service ?

Need some clarification on this topic.

Best Regards
    Priyabrata
    04-26-14 01:30 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! I believe you're from India? They have BIS services still active in India and many countries including mine, New Zealand.
    To answer your question, you do need BIS active on your plan, so a standard data plan would not work.
    04-26-14 01:51 PM
    Firstly, many thanks for the reply.
    Yes, I am from India, and they do have BIS here. But does BIS include the encryption and the data compression like they did ?
    And I read that the BB10 devices say, the Q5 , Q10 etc can use BBM, Net, Mail without having BIS active. So is this device(OS) specific ?
    This leads me to two further questions :

1) Does BIS allow to share the internet con with a laptop by using my BB as a modem ?
    2) If I get a BB10 device, the BBIS restriction will apply there too or not ? I.e will I be able to use my current data plan with the BB10 OS devices ?

Best Regards
    Priyabrata
    04-26-14 01:55 PM
    I am planning on purchasing a BlackBerry 9720.
    I read in many places that the blackberry service and its essential parts(encryption, compression) etc have been discontinued.
    Now, I am having a regular plan which I am using with my nokia phone currently.

I need to know, if I purchase this BlackBerry 9720, will I be able to use this current plan and be able to use BBM, Mail, Internet as per my existing plan or I need to get the BlackBerry Service ?

Need some clarification on this topic.

Best Regards
    Priyabrata
    Hey... just go to your service provider and ask them to activate the BlackBerry plan. I'm assuming that the minimum is going to be about INR 299

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 01:57 PM
    Hi, I've not yet purchased the device and I'll decide on purchasing it depending on the answers to the questions posted above.
    I need a stable internet con in both my laptop and mobile all the time. So I need to know if BB Plan allows me to have a single plan that does the job in both the places.
    04-26-14 02:00 PM
    Firstly, many thanks for the reply.
    Yes, I am from India, and they do have BIS here. But does BIS include the encryption and the data compression like they did ?
    And I read that the BB10 devices say, the Q5 , Q10 etc can use BBM, Net, Mail without having BIS active. So is this device(OS) specific ?
    This leads me to two further questions :

1) Does BIS allow to share the internet con with a laptop by using my BB as a modem ?
    2) If I get a BB10 device, the BBIS restriction will apply there too or not ? I.e will I be able to use my current data plan with the BB10 OS devices ?

Best Regards
    Priyabrata
    To answer your questions...
    1. BIS includes encryption and compression
    2. BlackBerry 10 OS does not use BIS
    3. I think using the mobile as a hotshot is limited to 1GB if you are on BIS. If you have a BlackBerry 10 device there is no restriction.
    4. No. You will not be able to use a BIS plan on BlackBerry 10 devices

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 02:01 PM
    Ok, so, If I get this correctly, If I buy a device running BB OS-10, say Q5, I can continue using my existing plan and still be able to use the features like BBM, Mail and Internet without having to activate the BIS ?
    04-26-14 02:07 PM
    Ok, so, If I get this correctly, If I buy a device running BB OS-10, say Q5, I can continue using my existing plan and still be able to use the features like BBM, Mail and Internet without having to activate the BIS ?
    That is correct.
    04-26-14 02:23 PM
    That is great. Thank you very much for clearing this up.

Now all I am worried about is this :

Code:
    forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-q5-f398/q5-fixed-battery-926925/
    04-26-14 02:24 PM
    That is great. Thank you very much for clearing this up.

Now all I am worried about is this :

Code:
    forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-q5-f398/q5-fixed-battery-926925/
    You can get it replaced at the Redington. They are the authorized service centers believe

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 11:15 PM
    Thats nice. Thanks a ton for the reply.
    04-27-14 05:12 AM
    Thats nice. Thanks a ton for the reply.
    No probs Priyabrata...

Posted via CB10
    04-27-14 02:37 PM