I am now at the end of a 3 year contract with Bell Mobility. Is it worth it to pay to have it unlocked? I want to use it in Canada with another provider (not Rogers) and then use a local SIM card elsewhere in the world when I travel. However, I have read that it won't work in Canada if not on Bell's network. Is that true? Thanks for any help you can give me. Bell Mobility has been no help at all.
    05-22-11 05:45 PM
    The GSM band in the 8830 WE do not work with GSM carriers in North America.

So there's no point in you unlocking it for use in Canada because it won't work.
    loislmb likes this.
    05-22-11 05:49 PM
    Thanks very much for your help. It seems a simple question, I'm sure, but I haven't been able to get a straight answer from Bell.

Can you also tell me... if it is unlocked, will it actually work overseas with a local SIM?
    05-22-11 07:50 PM
    Thanks very much for your help. It seems a simple question, I'm sure, but I haven't been able to get a straight answer from Bell.

Can you also tell me... if it is unlocked, will it actually work overseas with a local SIM?
    Yes. If unlocked, it will work with a local GSM carrier's SIM overseas.
    05-22-11 07:59 PM
    Pay to have it unlocked??? Does your provider not do it for free??

And yes, when I use to use my 8830 it worked fine overseas
    05-22-11 09:44 PM
    BELL, TELUS, ROGERS charges $50 to unlock it.. Pretty steep ...
    05-22-11 10:34 PM
    Despite numerous conversations with Bell Mobility people over three years, I never could get a straight answer as to whether they had ever unlocked my phone or why it would not work with a local SIM card overseas. They were a little more forthcoming once I told them I was ending my coverage. My understanding is it would cost $75 CDN to have it unlocked. They offered me a couple of months free service if I continued with them but I told them it was too little too late.

I will use one of the services that is recommended on this site to get it unlocked.
    05-22-11 11:17 PM
    PM sent to OP.
    05-23-11 04:06 PM
    what is the difference in over seas and north america for the phone?
    antennas or some thing else?
    07-26-11 03:14 PM
    The radio frequencies supported by the device are different.
    07-26-11 04:57 PM
    i have BB 8830 WE Locked to Telus,

so if i unlock it .. will it work with other carriers in canada ( or like BELL it will NOT )..

2ndly.. among EUROPEON Frequencies , which will work with it...

How about AWS 1700 and 2100
    09-14-11 11:33 AM
    It will only work on european bands like vodafone and orange.
    09-14-11 12:40 PM
    i have BB 8830 WE Locked to Telus ,i can use my SIM for call and texting but cant go online its still lock on Telus,is it posibly to unlock that now and will it work in Europe,Serbia ?
    thanks,Petar
    02-28-13 07:21 PM
    According to Wikipedia,
    Telenor Serbia GSM signal covers 95% of Serbia's inhabited territory and 90% of Serbia's land area.
    Once unlocked, your 8830 should work with a GSM SIM in Serbia.
    03-01-13 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD