hey whats up fellas looking for any info! (searchd 4 pages of google)

I have verizon 8830 WE and will most likely be traveling to San Jose Costa Rica within the next few months.. what will it take to get this phone working?
    04-23-08 10:24 PM
    are you looking to have your verizon service work while you are down there? or do you want to use a local provider?

keep in mind that no matter what.. you will need to see if costa rica's phone providers offer the GSM frequencies you need.. the 8830 works on 900/1800 frequencies. If THIS link is right, you might be out of luck altogether.. sorry

if you want to use verizon service, u can call and ask if it works in costa rica.. you will probably need to make sure their sim card is good to go for traveling.. I did it with sprint with just a phone call to their international ppl. I would also ask them about data plans while you are abroad. Sprint's option is something around 60 a month for unlimited international data.. I'm pretty sure I have seen information about verizon voice coverage internationally somewhere in the forums as well.

if you want to use a local sim card.. you can make calls but probably wont have any data! you would also need to unlock your phone.. there are threads about this over in the 8830 forums.

good luck..
    04-23-08 11:24 PM
    thanks for the reply

yes i would like to use my WE, data would be a plus but not a requirement....

i will have to read up on how to unlock the phones and how sim cards work down there
    04-23-08 11:35 PM
    You searched through 4 pages of Google, yet missed the sticky at the top of this forum.... http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/wil...30-work-28859/
    04-24-08 09:43 AM
    ****i Just Came Back From Costa Rica And The 8830 Will Not Work There.*******
    04-25-08 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD