Today I received an email. Can anyone tell me how giving work the PIN for my BB 8830 will affect me? Or why they might need it?

the email is as follows

"Could you please email me the PIN number from your Blackberry Phone? I need it for the new software we are loading to configure the Blackberry with our Exchange Server. You can find it by following the directions below. Thanks"

I am currently getting all email as forwarded to me I think, but am also getting it off the new server.
    11-27-07 03:06 PM
    I assume you don't have your blackberry set up on your work email yet... that is what they're trying to do by getting your PIN.
    11-27-07 04:06 PM
    I need it for the new software we are loading to configure the Blackberry with our Exchange Server.
    This is for configuring BES to work with the Exchange Server so your e-mail, calendar, and such are sync'ed over the air with your BB.
    Last edited by Trevor; 11-27-07 at 07:09 PM.
    11-27-07 04:18 PM
    Get ready for a BES policy lockdown. Have fun....
    11-27-07 04:57 PM
    Get ready for a BES policy lockdown. Have fun....
    What kind of things could be locked down? I have never dealt with BES before.
    11-27-07 05:07 PM
    Ditto to that. I don't currently use my calendar. I use my good ole noggin for that.

Currently I have an email account with road runner which is forwarded to using the address with the company. IN the last month, I have seen us use the Microsoft Exchange deal. I now have a web based company email if I want to use it, but still download all to Outlook that I don't erase on the BB.

I saw one thread where a guy says he can't go to certain websites and stuff and didn't know if this is how it's controlled.

Getting my email as I do, I just don't see a reason why they need to get my PIN
    11-27-07 06:00 PM
    Ok... If your BB is associated with your companies BES they can do and moniter whatever they want on your BB. For instance they could lockdown the web browser not allowing you to go on the web. They could not allow any 3rd party apps or personal email address'. They could moniter all of your phone logs, email and sms. This is just the tip of the iceberg! Have fun with that!!!
    11-27-07 06:56 PM
    They can monitor everything, but why bother? It takes time and manpower that could be better spent on other things. Is an employee's Blackberry activity really going to hurt the company? I'm sure there are overzealous IT administrators out there, but most are reasonable.

Before I hooked up to the BES at my firm, I asked if anything would change. Fortunately, they don't disable anything, so there was little impact on me.
    11-27-07 09:05 PM
    Yea but from what I read on other threads, "unhooking" from a company's BES is an issue in itself.
    11-28-07 02:28 AM
    It all depends on how you want to "unhook" from the company BES. If your nice to the BESAdmin then it's a simple procedure to push down a blank IT Policy and remove you from the BES.
    11-28-07 06:59 AM
    The question is do you own your Blackberry or does your company? If it is yours, I guess that you could refuse to give it and then they'd probably not allow you to have the company email pushed to your device.

If it is the company's, they will find the PIN whether you give it to them or not.
    11-28-07 09:18 AM
    Safe answer would be to find out the details of the BES deployment, and get in writing what sort of policy/policies they are going to push with it. If you don't like the policies, don't give them the PIN. If the company bought the BB for you, you might be required to comply.
    11-28-07 09:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD