View Poll Results: Do you absolutely love your 8830?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
    I had nextel from october 07 thru july 08 and hated them, however i loved my 7100i despite its chunky, non-EVDOness. Now i have verizon and have tried 5 different phones since july when i signed my soul to them. Im moderately happy with my samsung flipphone, however im thinking about going back to a blackberry. I thought, "what better choice than a slightly old blackberry with most of the same features as the new one, that i can get for a good price?". So here i am asking you what you think about your 8830.

P.S. I dont care about the lack of a camera. i never take pictures.
    12-31-08 09:32 PM
    Ohh, and btw, i would like to know from everyone how they like the keyboard because ive read some stuff about it being really stiff and keys even becoming unresponsive. thanks!
    12-31-08 09:48 PM
    The keyboard is one of the things that I like best about this phone. I think that it is a lot easier to use than the curve. (my wife loves her curve though) Heck the only thing that I don't like about this phone is the fact that it is light on internal memory...
    12-31-08 10:18 PM
    Great keyboard (good size, nice clickiness), great build quality (like a rock), and above average screen (good size, nice brightness). The big problem with the 8830 is that memory starts to run out after installing only a few apps and you can't install anything on an SD card. I'm going on 2 years with this phone and I'll miss it a little when I upgrade to the Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-08 10:24 PM
    I'm not sure what enriquenarez meant by his comment that you can't install anything on the SD card. The 8830 supports exactly the same function set on a Media card as any other BlackBerry.

I can type very well on the keyboard. I've rubbed a lot of the paint off the raised ridge on most of the keys.

As far as memory goes, the 8330 has 96MB. All the other older models, including the 8830, have 64MB. Memory is the single biggest issue. The 8830 is also a World Phone, has a SIM card slot, and can be used on international GSM frequencies. It CANNOT be used on US GSM frequencies.

Finally, no carrier has released OS 4.5 for the 8830. There are beta releases in the wild, but since the 8830 is nearing the end of its life in the product roster, there's a good chance there won't be an official OS4.5. The latest official OS is 4.2.2.196, which does support 8GB Media cards.
    12-31-08 10:40 PM
    Thanks for your help! im very happy to hear that the 8830 has lasted you that long, enrique, and thanks to everyone giving their opinion on the keyboard. i do believe i now want an 8830 even more
    01-01-09 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD