from a fresh battery-pull, i normally get 8.7mb of free system memory on my vzw 8830we.

today, its 0 free. no installs, no drastic changes, what could be stealing all this memory?
    04-06-08 01:02 PM
    8.7 is a pretty low number to start. Browser eats up a bit, along with BBmaps, google or whatever apps you use. I'm on wap so I can't post a link, but if you search for "messages deleted" or the like, you'll find a ton of links on how to maximize memory. 15MB is a good number to stay above.
    B

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-08 01:07 PM
    04-06-08 01:11 PM
    one of my big consumers is Epocrates, which is necessary! but i'll try to see what those links will do... Thanks!
    04-10-08 03:32 PM
    Well, he's not asking specifically how to optimize the memory..he's asking how it coes from 8.7mb to 0mb free with no usage..

the 8830's are pretty known for having some bad memory leaks..

I can confirm this..I have an 8830 that is not activated.. It was plugged into my USB port on my PC from a fresh battery pull..the next morning I get a beep and I look and there's 0mb free..it was plugged into a USB port and not being used..what happened to the memory?

it's just a memory leak..a bad one.
    04-10-08 04:40 PM
    I was loosing a lot of memory so got rid of viigo and niticed a big difference yesterday with viggo started with like 15mb within an hour down to 10mb today I deleted some other things and viigo have had 19mb all day!

04-10-08 04:46 PM
    I was loosing a lot of memory so got rid of viigo and niticed a big difference yesterday with viggo started with like 15mb within an hour down to 10mb today I deleted some other things and viigo have had 19mb all day!

Viigo can be a memory hog. after using Viigo, I normally delete "all items" and find that it doesn't download until the next time I visit the site.
    04-11-08 11:36 AM
    Well, viigo is gone now. Staying pretty good 6 to 7mb. Fresh batt pull gives me 9+mb.

If there's such a leak, let me know where to put the chewing gum to fix it. Hopefully viigo is the leak.

04-11-08 11:52 AM
    get rid of all pics, music, and ringtones to media card and reduce apps to default and then slowly put apps back after wiping handheld and data backupp\
    04-11-08 12:00 PM
    Well, viigo is gone now. Staying pretty good 6 to 7mb. Fresh batt pull gives me 9+mb.

If there's such a leak, let me know where to put the chewing gum to fix it. Hopefully viigo is the leak.

Do you get rid of your messages after reading them, whether it be SMS or Email. How often do you clean your Browser cache, contrary to popular belief, a battery pull doesn't clean your Browser cache.
    04-11-08 12:14 PM
    Browser Options, Cache Operations

After a power on reset:

The Browser Cache is cleared on reset. The History, Pushed Content and Cookie caches are not cleared.
    04-11-08 12:57 PM
    I barely have any apps, I have a hard time staying above 6ish mb:/ I try to avoid apps so my messages won't get erased. But I recently installed facebook and that actually brought it up 1.5mb. So I'm not really sure what to think at the moment.

04-24-08 11:09 PM
    Are you exiting your programs or just clicking the back button? You need to make sure you're Closing them.. Push the BB button, scroll down and "Close"

anything else and you are most likely just putting the program in the background.

Go to your homepage with all the icons, push the BB button and go to Switch Application.. that's a list of all running programs..try and close as many as you can.
    04-25-08 09:33 AM
    I started to log my memory. 2 nights ago I lost 1.6M while it was sitting there charging.
    I read the post on closing the applications. I'll try that tonight.
    04-29-08 06:19 PM
    If you never use the Blackberry Messenger, can it be deleted from Options-Application? What other apps will break?
    04-29-08 10:26 PM
    If you never use the Blackberry Messenger, can it be deleted from Options-Application? What other apps will break?
    I deleted it a month or so ago. Nothing broke. Everythings works as it should.
    04-29-08 11:49 PM
    Gang, at least in my case, I realy think I've found the culprit:

Viigo.

Previously, with Viigo and other apps installed, I'd start off from a battery pull with 12 MB free. By the end of the day-even if I didn't LAUNCH Viigo, I'd be down to @ 7 or 8 MB in the evening.

Despite the fact that I love Viigo, I finally uninstalled it 2 days ago. At that point from a battery pull, I had 14.5 MB.

By the end of the day? 14.5 MB.

The net day? 14.5 MB.

here are all of the rest of my installed apps:

Gmail
    Google Maps
    Web Messenger IM
    Accuweather

hope this helps,

-split
    05-01-08 01:15 PM
    I don't have Viigo and I still lose 600K to 1.3M overnight. I set the memory cleaner to auto. No extra apps. I even uninstalled BB maps.
    I get 16.9M with a battery pull. Verizon's OS eats 30M.
    You'd think with technology, RIM could install more memory or give the programming to run off memory card. I have a 2G micro card, why can't they put that, or even half in the base?

I went back and forth between my 8130 and Treo. I settled on BB because of the email capabilities. It just came down to which was the worse of 2 evils. RANT...RANT...RANT. Sorry
    05-01-08 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD