Hey everyone, I know this topic has been kind of addressed dozens of times on this site, but I haven't found the exact answer to the specific problem I have. I've used the BB Desktop Manager to backup my address book/calendar/notes/etc and I now have them saved on my desktop in a .ipd file. I've heard that I can only view these files on Microsoft Outlook. How can I convert the .ipd files into a type of file that Outlook, or any other program, can read?

Thanks a lot.
    01-13-08 01:29 PM
    the ipd files are NOT for viewing or usng in Outlook (except in an emergency). Whoever said that is incorrect. The ipd file is for saving and restoring back to your BB if needed.

To sync to Outlook, it is very a very simple and seamless process, using Desktop Manager, and Sync.

If you must convert and use the ipd files, you will need to purchase this application to do so...
    Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor, convert, backup and archive IPD files to CHM, PDF, HTML, Word, Access, Excel, CSV, IPD Extractor

Good luck.
    01-13-08 01:57 PM
    does anyone know if BB plans on using a desktop similar to that of Palm? that's the only thing i miss from going to BB.
    02-06-10 01:37 PM
    It's unlikely BlackBerry will ever develop a standalone pim interface. The BlackBerry uses Outlook for its interface.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-10 09:52 PM
    You can open the file with notepad from Windows, it's gonna look really messy but you'll find all the contacts, just scroll down a little, that way u can write 'em down or copy to excel or whatever you wanna do, hope it helps u solve the problem
    02-24-10 01:25 PM
    Hello all, I know that ABC converter is a great program which I had installed on my pc, but I had a hard drive crash and lost everything.I'm now trying to start over again but I noticed that i can no longer purchase ABC converter. Can anyone PLEASE help either with info about ABC or another program thats does the same thing?
    03-08-11 05:29 AM
    All I want is to move my Memo Pad files from my 8320 to my 9780. I keep a lot of useful lists and notes in there.

I have it backed up using BB software and it's .ipd. Useless so far as I can tell.

I have Magic Berry and RAR Extract Frog. Windows still cannot open the files. I don't see a way to move them from phone to phone. I only have 1 SIM card.
    03-12-11 10:06 AM
    If you sync your 8320 to Outlook, the MemoPad files will sync to Notes in Outlook. You can then sync your 9780 to Outlook and the Notes will come over to MemoPad. They will be truncated if they are longer than Outlook's Notes size limit. I don't recall the limit, but it's fairly small. Another option would be to use Desktop Manager's Switch Device Wizard, if you still have both devices.
    03-12-11 12:01 PM
    might want to try ABC blackberry converter to view them, don't know if you can do much other than view but it may work for you.
    03-15-11 12:57 PM
    You can also open IPD files using the BlackBerry Backup Extractor at blackberryconverter.com -- it'll pull out emails, texts, contacts, phone records etc.
    04-25-11 05:06 AM
    Hi all,
    my question is probably slightly different. I have my backup ipd file, and I can read it using Amber (now Elcomsoft Blackberry Backup Explorer 9.05). My problem is: Previous to backup, I have deleted a series of sms which I need to retrieve. I have already read someone say that "deleted sms are not anymore retreivable". However, I have evidence that at least part of them IS INDEED PRESENT IN THE IPD FILE. Evidence is:
    a) I opened the ipd file with Notepad
    b) It opened a huge file (167 MB) 90% full of illegible characters
    c) I launched "search" with the number I received the sms from, and found here and there bits of them, legible and recognizable, mixed with illegible stuff

which means

d) the sms are still there. Elcom will not show them to me, but they are indeed there

Question: how do I retrieve these???

Thanks to anybody allowing me to solve this!
    XX
    06-10-11 01:26 PM
    You can also open IPD files using the BlackBerry Backup Extractor at blackberryconverter.com -- it'll pull out emails, texts, contacts, phone records etc.

What about photos and videos?
    06-28-11 04:31 PM
    Dear cgennal:
    Pictures and videos are typically stored on a Blackberry mini SD card so they would not be on an IPD file. I am very familiar with the IPD and I have never seen them in any of the DBs there. The only picture I am aware on the IPD is the picture field located on the individual Address Book (contact) entry.
    See some of my IPD work at https://sites.google.com/site/ipdparse.
    rapanui21
    06-29-11 08:03 PM
    Dear sciottino:
    If you spotted your deleted SMS Messages on the IPD file and nothing will retrieve them, they must be in the Purged Messages DB (or Saved Messages DB).
    I have a program which reads and parses an IPD and produces various reports. The current release does not extract from the Purged Messages DB or Saved Messages DB. The next release will provide reports for those DBs.

See https://sites.google.com/site/ipdparse for current release.

Please send me a Private Message on this forum with your email address if you want me to send you a pre-release of ver 1.8 of IPD Parse.

In any event, save that IPD file !

rapanui21
    Mike
    06-29-11 08:15 PM
    I'm bringing up this topic because I don't want to open a new one....

Is there a way to restore SMS messages from an .ipd file into my phone, without erasing the messages that are already on it?
    08-17-11 03:49 AM
    My screen has gone black, but everything else works. I've searched for a way to fix the screen unsuccessfully and have decided to move on to a new phone instead since I still have a Storm and it's old. However, I have received several phone calls and text messages over the past couple of days and am trying to find a way to view them before I get rid of the phone. Any suggestions?
    04-30-12 01:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD