I contacted Verizon technical support today, for the umpteenth time, regarding the 8830's lack of ringtone volume coupled with its weak vibration. I miss half of my calls, because I can neither hear nor feel my phone when an incoming call arrives.

The Verizon tech told me he searched through all their complaints, which come from both RIM and customers, and not a single issue exists involving ring volume or vibration strength. I pleaded with him, arguing that it's all over every Blackberry forum-- and it's probably the #1 issue with the phone. He offered to send me a replacement 8830 (my fourth!) with the newest software update already installed (4.2.2.176). I already have this version on my 8830, and I told him the ring/vibrate issue never gets resolved, despite several firmware upgrades touting that the fix was made.

I asked if I could switch over to the Pearl, since it seems Verizon refuses to acknowledge the 8830 problem. He said the Pearl has the exact same software, and therefore, would have the exact same ring/vibrate issue. He went on to say that my phone must be defective (even though I've already had three). I asked him what I should do if the replacement phone demonstrates the low ring/vibrate volume problem, and he said they'd just keep replacing it with another 8830. So instead of acknowledging the problem, they'll just keep sending me the same phone.

How can Verizon say this issue is resolved?!!!! I've had an 8830 since May, and the firmware never fixes the ringer/vibration. It sounds like they're not even working to find a fix, because they believe the problem has already been solved.

Do others with the 8830 have good ring volume (without boosting the ringtone DB) and strong vibration?
    01-18-08 02:21 PM
    It is a known issue on the Forums, however, that doesn't mean that VZW has to recognize or admit it.
    01-18-08 03:20 PM
    get the pearl. I came from a 8830 and had many issues, which got resolved to a certain extent from the atterny generals office. They put me in the pearl and couldn;t be happier, it has strong vib, meets my expectations. and the ringers on the phone are loud, yeah MP3 are still a bit low, but i don't use them, but music player and sound kicks ***.

Good luck...
    01-18-08 03:22 PM
    First of all, the Pearl doesn't use the same OS version so that right there should tell you how stupid this CSR was... not surprising. On the other hand, when your Pearl/Track Ball gets dirty or you just feel like a nice shiny phone you can call in and have the 8830 replaced at no charge. Yey.

Oh yeah, VZW doesn't even agree that there's an issue with call quality on the 8830. The whole "loud background noise or poor speakerphone performance" is not on their problem list. I think VZW is living in a dream world.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 01-18-08 at 05:59 PM.
    01-18-08 05:56 PM
    get the pearl. I came from a 8830 and had many issues, which got resolved to a certain extent from the atterny generals office. They put me in the pearl and couldn;t be happier, it has strong vib, meets my expectations. and the ringers on the phone are loud, yeah MP3 are still a bit low, but i don't use them, but music player and sound kicks ***.

Good luck...
    I'm going to have to disagree with you. The 8130/Pearl has the exact same problem. Although I never felt that the vibrate was a problem, not as strong as other phones, I can still feel it, the ringer volume issue exists on the Pearl as well. My cousin has one and I was curious to see if the Pearl had the same problems as my 8830 and I found that it is the same.
    01-18-08 07:05 PM
    Don't have a problem with the ringer volume on my pearl at all, even if it is another room.
    01-18-08 09:11 PM
    Don't have a problem with the ringer volume on my pearl at all, even if it is another room.
    Depends on ringtone. Use an MP3 or something that didn't come with the BB preloaded. RIM's response to trying to fix this issue was to boost the volume of the preloaded ringers some. This does not fix the issue, it only masks it.
    01-19-08 01:51 PM
    I'm going to have to disagree with you. The 8130/Pearl has the exact same problem. Although I never felt that the vibrate was a problem, not as strong as other phones, I can still feel it, the ringer volume issue exists on the Pearl as well. My cousin has one and I was curious to see if the Pearl had the same problems as my 8830 and I found that it is the same.
    I can get Verizon to send me a new 8830 over and over again, without question, but I really just want a phone that I can hear/feel when an incoming call arrives. I have my 8830 on vibrate 80% of the time, and I can never feel it unless I'm sitting down and it's directly against my leg. If I'm walking, I'll definitely miss the call. Can someone confirm that the Pearl has a sufficient vibrate function... meaning, you can definitely feel it on the move, or in a busy bar.

Also, can someone with a pearl confirm that a non-stock mp3 plays loudly as a ringtone (not just as music playback) on the Pearl?

I can't imagine moving to the Pearl. It doesn't have a full keyboard, which is the main reason I got the Blackberry. I imagine you can't type very fast on that thing. ***SIGH***
    01-19-08 02:04 PM
    i just bought a pearl about 2 weeks ago and my vibrate is strong. I feel it in my pocket all the time and in a holster in my hip. Its funny b/c i was in verizon today and was going to return my pearl for the 8830, but first i tested the vibrate and the ring, and no way! That vibrate sucks and the ringer is very quite.And yes i switched it to high in the advanced options. That sucks because thats the only thing keeping me from trading my pearl for the 8830. So ive decided im keeping my pearl. I love it, besides the ****ty battery strength
    01-19-08 05:24 PM
    disagree with me all you want I already stated saying the facotry ringer are loud enough for me, but I also did mention that if you use the Mp3 side of the phone for ringers they are low.

Yes it's a problem and needs fixed, but as standard operations for the phone with normal ringers, yeah they work for me and are loud enough....
    01-19-08 05:37 PM
    While it sounds (no pun was initially intended) as if the Ringtone issue can be somewhat rectified by finding louder mp3 files (or tweaking the volume with editing programs) the VIBRATE is probably some inherent, physical "motor" or other device that "shakes, rattles and rolls" the actual case and may not be able to be tweaked or fixed merely by software.
    01-19-08 05:51 PM
    That's the thing. MP3s are plenty loud in the Media Player. This is a definite bug in the ringtone code. It's as simple as that... RIM just doesn't want to be realistic about the issue. Who uses a stock ringer... please.
    01-19-08 07:42 PM
    That's the thing. MP3s are plenty loud in the Media Player. This is a definite bug in the ringtone code. It's as simple as that... RIM just doesn't want to be realistic about the issue. Who uses a stock ringer... please.
    I actually LIKE some of the stock ringers on the 8830. I have no problems at all with the strength of the vibrate (sometimes it scares the heck out of me), and my stock ringer volume is PLENTY loud.

As most others complain, it's the (ripped) mp3's as ringtones that have the exceptionally low ringing volume- which I still use, since they're only for family. It's a shame, too, because I have a specific song for each member of my family, (e.g., "Daniel" by Elton John for my son, Dan, and mine and my husband's wedding song, as my husband's ringer), and I really do end up missing some of their calls. At least I'm not depending on these calls for business.

In general, Verizon DOES do a lot of "dreaming" when it comes to this phone. There is no way possible that they are unaware of consumers' dissatisfaction with the ringer volume and the disabled GPS. Doesn't matter, because people continue to buy the phones. Why should they change these issues??!!
    01-20-08 02:22 PM
    Depends on ringtone. Use an MP3 or something that didn't come with the BB preloaded. RIM's response to trying to fix this issue was to boost the volume of the preloaded ringers some. This does not fix the issue, it only masks it.

I have MP3 and preloaded ringtones and the "classic ringer" for different people. I am not trying to be contrary, but in my experience the ringer volume is not a problem at all. I am no fanboy who is trying to sell myself along with other people, I have made many complaints about the device on this site and others, but ringtone volume with the verizon 8130 has not been one of them.

I am a carpenter and am wearing hearing protection for much of the day, even with the big earmuffs on and my BB in my jacket in the corner of the room I heard an MP3 ring just fine yesterday. Maybe I somehow got lucky with the mp3 I used, but I didn't boost the volume on purpose or anything. At any rate, it can't be as big of an issue as it is with the WE because you don't find the owners of the 8130 posting nearly the amount of complaints as you find with the WE.

Eli
    Last edited by ong-gia; 01-20-08 at 03:32 PM.
    01-20-08 03:22 PM
    I owned the 8830 WE and had problems hearing the phone ring and the vibration was weak. After reading the crackberry forums, I went to Verizon and they switched it for a Pearl after a firm discussion. I am very pleased with the Pearl 8130. The ringer is much louder and I can definitely feel the vibrate. I use the classic ringer and it is not extremely loud, but a definite improvement over the 8830. The only thing I miss about the 8830 is the larger screen and full keyboard. The suretype is very convenient also. I didn't think I would like it, but it can be helpful.

The 8830 WE also had a problem with background noise. I had to go to a room that was absolutely silent for the person on the other end of the line to hear me. I have had no problem whatsoever with the Pearl 8130.
    01-20-08 08:04 PM
    ^^^ Must have just gotten lucky. I have 3 clients with 8130s and they all have background noise issues, as well as ringer problems. However, I am the one that finds the ringers to be the same level as my 8830 with the same issues. They all leave theirs on some stock loud ringtones and they don't have an issue hearing them. And they also don't have a need for a loud ringer, but I do. So it's all subjective really, but still an issue that should be resolved in my opinion.
    01-21-08 10:43 AM
    ^^^ Must have just gotten lucky. I have 3 clients with 8130s and they all have background noise issues, as well as ringer problems. However, I am the one that finds the ringers to be the same level as my 8830 with the same issues. They all leave theirs on some stock loud ringtones and they don't have an issue hearing them. And they also don't have a need for a loud ringer, but I do. So it's all subjective really, but still an issue that should be resolved in my opinion.
    With the inconsistency of QC on most electronics these days, I believe it. I just looked into it more and found that I only have my ringer volume set to "medium". I tired "high" just to see and it really wasn't that much louder, and it did sound distorted too, not like when playing an MP3. Anyway, IMO the fact that they sent this device out with the memory leak problems and gave no instruction on how to fix it (thanks CB! I would have returned this thing weeks ago, Verizon and Rim should be kissing your feet) shows where their head is at. I almost got the 8830 but picked the pearl because it is smaller. I would have been super pissed having found out about this issue like the OP had to.

So I did get lucky, got a working model that had a working trackball and decent volume and no dust under the screen and I already have a GPS and I get 25% off the ridiculous bill and I found this forum and...whew. Guess it makes up for all the bad beats I take at the poker table.

Lucky in BB's unlucky at cards as they say.

Eli

PS if anyone wants my MP3 ringer I can email it to ya. It is the chorus of Sister Nancy's Bam bam. I get smiles every time it goes off.
    01-21-08 01:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD