Hi guys... it has been 6 months since I had to look at my Blackberry 8830 and then my Treo 755 was involved in an accident and somehow there was an insurance mixup... so I pulled out the 8830. I forgot how much I absolutely HATE Verizon and the Blackberry should give people enough vitriol to jump on the destruction of Verizon Wireless the moment Sprint and GSM catches up with a tad more coverage. I really need to vent a little and perhaps someone can fill me in if I missed some of the below which seems accurate after research.

1) The GPS crippled removes every element of usefulness and fun in mobile phones - it's used for MUCH more than maps and Navigator/Tom Tom/Garmin. I HATE VERIZON AND THEIR EXECUTIVES!!! Applications like Where and other location-based services that find weather, venues, vendors, information and social networking apps are all toast with Blackberries.

2) I'm shocked that the Blackberry still has the lousiest media players ever. Even that Flip app sucks and is mostly eye candy. Is it too much to ask? Every other OS has basic players for audio/video that are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the built in.

3) For the love of @#$% I still can't easily save attachments in email onto the SD card and open them in a native viewer. It looks like that e-office app is still clumsy as **** and any other options are a bloody service. I ******** hate that about the BB. Repligo for Palm or PPC were amazing and you didn't need to pay for a "service fee" that expires over time. And the e-office app feels like it was written in the 90s... and Dataviz is a damn service. This just has to stop.

4) Can I just reply and delete the damn text that I want? What is the point of locking it down and making me copy it into a new email?

5) Jivetalk is the best damn chat client ever.

6) There is still no good tasks/to do manager. ToDo Matrix has a web based service (I hate services) and nothing like Bonsai for the Palm or Braintrust or any other hierarchichal outliner or idea tree. It looks old and requires many keystrokes just to do basic things like enter in a new to do. Crazy as it may seem, clumsy Pocket List still seems to be the best option a half year later.

7) I did miss the nice push email, ease of reply, type and done, the better number lookup (even with Palm third party software) and overall reliability of the phone as a whole.

8) The 8830 does not have close to enough RAM and for the LOVE OF ALL THINGS ALIVE would Blackberry put this damn phone into a protect mode so your data doesn't stop being automatically deleted when the phone application memory is low? How dumb and insecure is that?

9) Someone needs to figure out how to tether the BB for free just like June Fabrics did with the Treos and PPC phones - PDANet. I'll be damned if I pay Verizon yet another $15 a month...

I dunno boys... In a way I love the Blackberry and the pretty solid OS and awesome/amazing Jivetalk. But unless the new OS gets rid of all the "corporate security" concerns that simply don't exist for most of us, the BB OS will continue to be the lamest, least useful personal OS known to mankind. Applications take a lot to build, will cost more, and contain enough push/keystrokes to ensure Carpal Tunnel for all and to make Pocket PC look like poetry in motion. If JT is such a great app, why aren't there plenty of others appearing and making the rest look like half-baked solutions?

Thaks for listening. The GPS crippling just has me livid and I needed to vent. I'm heavily involved in the mobile industry and I can't even experience any of the newer apps coming out there that use the GPS extensively. Beyond frustrating...
    05-28-08 11:37 PM
    Go back under your bridge...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-08 11:41 PM
    Which one?
    05-29-08 06:07 AM
    Agreed. If you don't like it, don't use it.

Which one?
    The one that's about to collapse.
    05-29-08 08:31 AM
    Go to t-mobile. I'm sure you won't complain about their service. LOL.
    05-29-08 12:59 PM
    I love my 8830 and wouldn't trade it for the world. Every product has its issues. In the words of Jay Z,"either love me or leave me alone." (me=the BB)
    05-29-08 01:21 PM
    It sounds like you have a wrong device for your needs�
    As for Verizon � yes it sucks�
    best remedy is to go to Sprint for as long as you can take and come back� you will feel much better!

05-29-08 02:26 PM
    It sounds like you have a wrong device for your needs�
    As for Verizon � yes it sucks�
    best remedy is to go to Sprint for as long as you can take and come back� you will feel much better!
    Anyone here in New York? Last I had Sprint they weren't bad with coverage. Bridge, tunnels and subway were also reachable to a decent extent. Nothing with GSM was even comparable to CDMA. It also seems that Internet plans are much cheaper with Spring. Only challenge is that the family has Verizon plans as do many friends. I hope their towers burn out and then Spring has the best network. Would serve them right.

Regarding the device...it's tough. If I could get a PPC device with the 8800 or curve footprint I'd be gone in a second. The pullout keyboards just aren't great and the "Tilt" isn't for me although some love it. The Treo would be perfect if (a) it didn't have the Treo hardware quirks that Palm refuses to fix, and (b) it didn't use parts from 1998 which Palm insists on doing so that they can gradually suck you along into upgrading. Seems like they've alienated so many people now that they won't even have a business, lol. So essentially I'm trying to do the best I can and try to find (a) a good to do/outlining app, (b) an app that saves and reads standard ms office and PDF docs, (c) a decent media player (just a step up from the standard, and (d) the ability to use an SD card above 4GB... oh yeah, and (e) a fringgin launcher that is an improvement over scrolling everywhere.
    05-29-08 03:00 PM
    I love my 8830 and wouldn't trade it for the world. Every product has its issues. In the words of Jay Z,"either love me or leave me alone." (me=the BB)
    I like what you said.
    07-31-08 05:46 PM
    I guess my only question is... How long did it take you to write that?
    07-31-08 05:53 PM
    Ahh, if VZW is such ****, then how come it is the second largest provider in the united states? (soon to be the largest) Just my two cents..

I actually love verizon and bypassing the GPS cripple is easy if you buy a cheap little bluetooth GPS receiver.

Also the reliable 3G EVDO speed is great, and they also have a slick selection of phones.
    07-31-08 09:38 PM
    Just switch if you wanna get out of Jonestown. That's what I did!
    07-31-08 09:51 PM
    1) The GPS crippled removes every element of usefulness and fun in mobile phones - it's used for MUCH more than maps and Navigator/Tom Tom/Garmin. I HATE VERIZON AND THEIR EXECUTIVES!!! Applications like Where and other location-based services that find weather, venues, vendors, information and social networking apps are all toast with Blackberries.
    I agree with this. I am trying to figure out a way to get this unlocked, but nothing has worked yet.

2) I'm shocked that the Blackberry still has the lousiest media players ever. Even that Flip app sucks and is mostly eye candy. Is it too much to ask? Every other OS has basic players for audio/video that are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the built in.
    Honestly I don't buy a phone to listen to music, it's a smartphone for a reason, mainly for e-mails and calling people. The media player works fine for simple tasks. The media palyer in OS 4.6 is suppose to be better and the one for the Thunder should be the best.

3) For the love of @#$% I still can't easily save attachments in email onto the SD card and open them in a native viewer. It looks like that e-office app is still clumsy as **** and any other options are a bloody service. I ******** hate that about the BB. Repligo for Palm or PPC were amazing and you didn't need to pay for a "service fee" that expires over time. And the e-office app feels like it was written in the 90s... and Dataviz is a damn service. This just has to stop.
    You get the free version of DocumentsToGo with OS 4.5 and you can now save attachments to your SD card.

4) Can I just reply and delete the damn text that I want? What is the point of locking it down and making me copy it into a new email?
    Yeah I noticed that, not sure why they do that.

5) Jivetalk is the best damn chat client ever.
    I agree with this.

6) There is still no good tasks/to do manager. ToDo Matrix has a web based service (I hate services) and nothing like Bonsai for the Palm or Braintrust or any other hierarchichal outliner or idea tree. It looks old and requires many keystrokes just to do basic things like enter in a new to do. Crazy as it may seem, clumsy Pocket List still seems to be the best option a half year later.
    I'm not one for a to-do list so this doesn't bother me that much.

7) I did miss the nice push email, ease of reply, type and done, the better number lookup (even with Palm third party software) and overall reliability of the phone as a whole.
    The e-mail push that RIM has is very nice.

8) The 8830 does not have close to enough RAM and for the LOVE OF ALL THINGS ALIVE would Blackberry put this damn phone into a protect mode so your data doesn't stop being automatically deleted when the phone application memory is low? How dumb and insecure is that?
    I agree about the RAM, these phones need much more.

9) Someone needs to figure out how to tether the BB for free just like June Fabrics did with the Treos and PPC phones - PDANet. I'll be damned if I pay Verizon yet another $15 a month...
    You can tether the BB without using VZ Manager, but you still get that page about having to pay for it when you do. I am trying to figure out a way to get around that too.
    08-01-08 08:47 AM
    Unfortunately, Verizon is still on V4.2, so Documents to GO won't work. I have the same issue with attachments. Is there another solution out there?
    08-01-08 09:13 AM
    Unfortunately, Verizon is still on V4.2, so Documents to GO won't work. I have the same issue with attachments. Is there another solution out there?
    Install OS 4.5 like I did -
    08-01-08 09:14 AM

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]I do agree 100% that the limited RAM space to store and run applications is a bit sad. The Treo did have launchers that the SD card could be used to store and run applications etc...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Overall though... I can't wait to try it out!! [/COLOR]
    08-01-08 09:45 AM
    Do your research before posting. My Curve is from Verizon, and I am running 4.3.

Besides, if you really want Docs to Go, update to a 4.5 OS.
    08-01-08 09:57 AM
    Seek help to find 4.5.

I have the exe for it
    08-01-08 10:24 AM
    Do your research before posting. My Curve is from Verizon, and I am running 4.3.

Besides, if you really want Docs to Go, update to a 4.5 OS.
    Actually I believe the 8830 WE still only has 4.2 and not the 4.3 like the 8330 Curve does. So he is correct in that aspect
    08-01-08 11:35 AM
    Actually I believe the 8830 WE still only has 4.2 and not the 4.3 like the 8330 Curve does. So he is correct in that aspect
    You are correct, however, the way his post was stated inferred that Verizon Blackberries in general only have 4.2.
    08-01-08 11:39 AM
    You are correct, however, the way his post was stated inferred that Verizon Blackberries in general only have 4.2.
    Sorry, as I was on the 8830 thread, I figured I was only referring to it. I'd love to install 4.5, just need to find it.
    08-01-08 12:19 PM
    Slinky Slinky Slinky what are we going to do with you......
    Verizon Wireless lets you try it 30 days. If you didn't like it you should have taken it back. I am sure you played with it before you took it home and you no doubt knew about the GPS thing. It ain't crippled it just flat ain't turned on. You have to subscribe to VZN to use it. You knew that. If you didn't then.....go to T-Mobile or better yet try criKet cellular I think they have unlimited minutes for $49 per month if you can find the right place to stand at the right time of day.
    08-04-08 03:35 PM
    Sorry, as I was on the 8830 thread, I figured I was only referring to it. I'd love to install 4.5, just need to find it.
    just ask around...

a nice person can help you out
    08-04-08 07:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD