hi all - n00b here.

so, i was trying to this unlock vendors themes thing which seems easy enough.
    i followed the instructions, but no matter what i do, i don't have that .axl oops i mean .alx file.

i have searched this forum and found all the links where one is supposed to be able to download the os, but the link for verizon always takes me to the vzw site where it only allows me to dl the desktop mgr, NOT the os. even the blackberry site just sends me to vzw.

it's not really a big deal, i'm just tinkering, but i don't know why i can't figure this out.

any help would be appreciated - thanks
    molly

8830we
    Last edited by mollycase; 02-03-08 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typo
    02-03-08 11:15 AM
    You need the OS installed.

Get it here:

BlackBerry® Software Updates
    02-03-08 11:58 AM
    thanks, but that's what i mean. i go there, download it, run it, and nothing.

i've done it three times now over the past few days.

normally i'm not this dense when it comes to computer stuff, so i'm a bit perplexed.

i am able to view hidden folders and there's no folder called "shared" like the instructions say. i've even done a search for *.alx. nothing.

i must be missing something really simple.
    02-03-08 12:11 PM
    What OS are you running on your computer? Let's start with that. Depending on if it's XP vs Vista, the location of the folder you're looking for is in a different spot because user profiles are handled differently.
    02-03-08 12:16 PM
    i have xp.
    02-03-08 12:17 PM
    Then it's on the C: drive under Documents and Settings. Make sure you have options to show hidden files and folders. Then look for Local Settings, then Research in Motion, keep digging and you'll find Shared folder and others you need.
    02-03-08 12:19 PM
    thanks. i do have view hidden turned on already.

if i go under local settings for admin or my user name, there is nothing about RIM or my blackberry, no alx files.

i even did a search this morning, including hidden files, subfolders, etc, for *.alx. nothing came up for the c drive.

if i go into the RIM folder, there is nothing called shared. i've tried typing directly into the explorer bar as well, no go.

i appreciate your help, tho!
    02-03-08 12:27 PM
    Then it's on the C: drive under Documents and Settings. Make sure you have options to show hidden files and folders. Then look for Local Settings, then Research in Motion, keep digging and you'll find Shared folder and others you need.

No, the Blackberry.alx is located in:

c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared\loader files\<your OS version number folder>

However, if the OS has not been installed the "Shared" folder will not be there.

You need to download and install the Device OS to the PC.
    02-03-08 12:27 PM
    ^^^ Yeah, you're right... I was thinking of sync profiles. I'm still asleep apperently.
    02-03-08 12:28 PM
    ok, then that's where my confusion lies.

i have followed what i thought were instruction to download the os.
    i followed a link from another thread that was for verizon.

i am really at a loss here.

whether i go the blackberry.com site or search forums, i end up here:
    vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/

i have uninstalled and reinstalled three times over the past few days and i am confused.
    is this just a verizon thing?
    02-03-08 12:31 PM
    It's a simple process. I'm not sure where your trouble lies.

1. Download and install Desktop Manager.
    2. Download and install Device software (handheld OS) for the 8830.
    3. Once both are installed to the PC then you can edit the Blackberry.alx.
    4. Connect BB and open Desktop Manager/Application Loader and go through it all the way to the end.
    02-03-08 12:37 PM
    i'm not sure where my trouble is either, b/c it seems uber simple.

thanks - i'm gonna try it all over again and hopefully fourth time's a charm!

02-03-08 01:11 PM
    the link from verizon only gives me the desktop manager, NOT the device OS.
    i have no idea where to get it.
    anytime i try to find it, i get a link that takes me to the same ol' verizon page where i've been already a million times.

i just tried to install it again, and it's only the desktop software.

am i just not getting something about this? i'm starting to feel pretty dumb.
    02-03-08 01:19 PM
    When you get to the Verizon site, click on "Personal" email. Then select your model BB and click on Device software and enter your phone number to download the software.
    02-03-08 01:28 PM
    but that's what i've been doing. that downloads a file named 422_b017_multilanguage.exe, i open it, it opens winzip self extract. i follow instructions. the whole way through, it only ever says desktop software, nothing about os. at one point, it has the tree where you can select what to install and what's listed is bb device manager and bb desktop software.
    02-03-08 01:39 PM
    After clicking "Personal email" then select the radio button for "Blackberry Device Software"(Not Blackberry Desktop manager) and enter your phone number. Then hit the "download Now" button at the bottom. When I do that I get the OS download, not the Desktop Manager.
    02-03-08 02:28 PM
    THANK YOU. i knew it something stupid. i swear i never saw it say device - i was wondering why the two dates were so close together.

when i first read your post, i thought "radio buttons? what radio buttons? i don't remember those."

okay, i'm a big dork, but i really appreciate you helping me see the obvious.

thanks again!
    molly
    02-03-08 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD