Hi all,

I recently picked up an 8GB mini card for my phone, to load a fair amount of music onto to use as an MP3 player, rather than keep reloading my 1GB Sansa.

I have some tunes on it, but have a couple questions. First, I downloaded and installed the Desktop Media Sync thing, and it will not work. In the last couple weeks, I have had to do 2 or 3 battery pulls because my volume dissappeared, ringers, music, everything. Once I pull, it comes back.
    Is that related to something with the card or the media manager?

And, the whole Mass Media Mode. What is the best setting for carrying music? the manual isnt really clear on it. I dont even know if MMM is for the card, or the phone outright..

Thanks, if it hasnt already been up, Otterbox is clearing out cases with clips, silicones, and case for 24 plus shipping. Just bought a black one to look all stealthy.

Digger
    11-15-09 07:25 PM
    What version of the BB OS are you running? I suspect you are seeing a bug that has been found in recent versions of the OS (versions including and after 4.5.0.160). Basically, any attempts to play back media are met with a "device media processor busy" error and ring tones, alarms, and alerts stop working. Starting voice dialing, then exiting it, may restore playback, but I have not confirmed that as of yet.

I cannot help you with media sync, as I do not use it.

Mass storage mode is for accessing the card only. AFAIK, it does not allow you to access storage on the phone.
    11-16-09 08:00 AM
    I am running version 4.5.135, according to my phone. I haven't seen the device error message, but am upgrading now to the 175 version as we speak.

I can get by with no media sync, have been since I got the phone,

and what is AFAIK? Sounds like Mass storage mode is right up the alley for music?

Thanks for the help, you are the first one to take a shot at it.
    11-16-09 10:11 AM
    and what is AFAIK? Sounds like Mass storage mode is right up the alley for music?
    AFAIK is an acronym for as far as I know...LOL How do you have Mass Storage set on your device?

options>media card....should be set to ON and Mass Storage Modes Support to ON and auto enable set to ON.
    11-16-09 10:25 AM
    Ah, sometimes I am a total dummy. AFAIK.

Will redo my media card, I had to delete every song from it today thinking I was clearing personal memory for the upgrade. I think I had it turned off, and all that music loaded onto the phone itself.

Brings me to another question- I think I was in the media player, and it had an option for 5, 10, and I think 15 MB memory, my choice. Is this for bigger cards?
    11-16-09 05:21 PM
    The memory option is for the cache. With OS 4.2, you would have problems if the meory dropped below 10MB, so you could set the cache limit to 10MB. With OS 4.5, you can go as low as 5MB.
    11-16-09 05:33 PM
    Brings me to another question- I think I was in the media player, and it had an option for 5, 10, and I think 15 MB memory, my choice. Is this for bigger cards?
    I believe that's how much memory you want to dedicate to media. Setting it higher will allow better playback, but at a cost to your other apps. Setting it to 5 will limit it to only using that much of your memory, saving more for apps.

I've got an 8820 at home set up with Slacker on Wifi only. Makes a great little portable radio. I just need to get a media card for it so I can cache Slacker stations.
    11-16-09 05:34 PM
    Installed BB OS Version 175 yesterday, phone seems to be up and running OK so far.
    If I am using my card in Mass Storage Mode, that adjustable media setting, (the 5, 10, and 15 one), wont that be a non issue? Or, if I understand correctly, when the phone is connected to something (in my case, my laptop), any media goes to the card. When I get a pic or something over my phone, and save it, it goes to that adjustable in phone memory?

Hope I didnt confuse this too much, not sure of the proper terms, but thanks for the help. Will try to reload songs today to the card.
    11-17-09 09:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD