I am going to asis for 10 months and was going to bring my BB 8830 with me. When I get there can I simply get a sim card and lets say a pay as you go card and use it? If so is there anything I need to change on my phone or will it work just like a GSM phone?
    01-31-09 11:28 PM
    I am going to asis for 10 months and was going to bring my BB 8830 with me. When I get there can I simply get a sim card and lets say a pay as you go card and use it? If so is there anything I need to change on my phone or will it work just like a GSM phone?
    it should normally work as a gsm phone as the 900/1800mhz part is unlocked
    02-01-09 09:49 AM
    Sorry for the hijack on your thread but I have a related question.

I will be heading to Europe in June for a couple weeks. I have never taken a cell phone abroad before but purchased my 8830 last year specifically for this trip. I will be visiting several different countries.

What do I need to know before I take it there with me? I know I need to purchase this "SIM Card". I called a local dealer today to price check and was told they don't work on Alltel (which is what I am on) and that I'd have to purchase the card from a different carrier.

OK....is this something I need to purchase in the US before I leave, or should I get it overseas? Is there a price or product difference either way? Where is the best place to buy one (online? in a store?)?

Thank you for any help!!!
    02-02-09 12:48 PM
    Sorry for the hijack on your thread but I have a related question.

I will be heading to Europe in June for a couple weeks. I have never taken a cell phone abroad before but purchased my 8830 last year specifically for this trip. I will be visiting several different countries.

What do I need to know before I take it there with me? I know I need to purchase this "SIM Card". I called a local dealer today to price check and was told they don't work on Alltel (which is what I am on) and that I'd have to purchase the card from a different carrier.

OK....is this something I need to purchase in the US before I leave, or should I get it overseas? Is there a price or product difference either way? Where is the best place to buy one (online? in a store?)?

Thank you for any help!!!
    Make sure the GSM portion is unlocked, put a random sim (non alltel) and see if the phone accepts it or not.

Make sure the country you are going to is 900/1800mhz. you can find the information at gsmworld.com. remember that the 8830 is a CDMA/GSM phone, and yes the 8830 accepts any sim card as long as its unlocked. the exception is 800/1900, u cant make the gsm part in North America, only CDMA.

What countries are you specifically going to? Depending on the countries i can find the best carrier at PrePaidGSM.net
    02-02-09 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD