First of all, I'm new to CrackBerry, and I'm a complete noob to BB's, so save your hate for the noobs. I got two BB 8830 WE's from a buddy of mine, but neither of them came with sim cards. My question is, is it possible to use the phones on a prepaid carrier (i.e. PagePlus) without the sims? If not, how can I use them?
    07-16-12 06:13 PM
    The 8830 WE is an early attempt at a World Phone. In North America, it works on CDMA frequencies ONLY and does not use a SIM. The SIM is for use with European GSM frequencies, which are not the same as North American GSM frequencies. The good news for you is that you don't need, and indeed cannot use, a SIM in your 8830 in North America. As to whether it will work on PagePlus, I can't tell you, but this info from Wikipedia is encouraging:
    Page Plus is also notable for having an unofficial open device policy. Most Verizon postpaid phones and Alltel phones can be activated (with limitations). Other CDMA phones can be flashed or reprogrammed to their network including devices from Sprint, U.S. Cellular, etc. Page Plus does have some phones that are disallowed from being activated on their system including prepaid Verizon/Alltel phones and the new Verizon/CDMA Apple iPhone.
    07-19-12 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD