This is the 2nd time today that the 8830 has screwed up with XP SP2. I downloaded and installed the 4.3 version of Desktop Manager.

Just a few minutes ago I successfully downloaded a few audio files and an image. The audio files were placed into the ringtone area, and the image into the photo area. I did the safe shutdown of the device for removal.

Picked one of the audio files as the new default ringtone.

Then I went and set the image I downloaded as the default background. But, I noticed to grey boxes on the right edge, center, of the image. The download was somehow screwed up. I looked at the image in the Media Manager and there is nothing wrong with it. So, I quit Media Manager and Desktop Manager and reconnected the BB. Now the system is telling me that the USB device is bad. Ya well, it isn't.

I've done nothing on the computer between the time I last had it connected until now.

The pattern appears to be that one cannot disconnect and then later reconnect without getting this error. The only cure is to reboot the computer, which is obviously a PITA.

Is there a fix for this? Anyone else see it?
    04-13-08 09:49 PM
    04-13-08 10:02 PM
    http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforums.crackberry.com+%22usb+devic e+not+recognized%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a]site:forums.crackberry.com "usb device not recognized" - Google Search
    Wow, lots of complaints about this one. Thanks for the pointer. One of the hits had a requirement to register atl.dll. I wonder why that wasn't done by the installer.

Speaking of files not registering, there are four files that failed to register during the install process. I have screen grabs of the error gui if anyone needs to see them. I know that it wasn't a problem with XP, because when I tried to install on W2K SP4, I got the same four errors. But, what was worse is that Media Manager crashed W2k during the configuration phase. TWICE. I finally gave up and uninstalled the whole package, since it appears that 4.3 does not like W2K, when it is supposed to.

Some of the other postings mentioned problems using a hub, which is what I was doing. I then moved the cable to the mobo USB port.

So, I'm not sure if it was the registering of atl.dll or the use of he mobo USB, but a reconnect after a connection did not fail.
    04-14-08 12:14 AM
    Also, stop using the "Safely Remove USB Device" wizard. It's not needed. Plug and Unplug.

Also, the little square dots on the picture when you set it as your background is due to a bug in Media Player with pictures that are 320x240 exactly. Some pics do it and some don't. It's a known issue. You have to try and set as wallpaper when you view the picture in tile listing with the other pics or when you see it full screen. It just depends on the pic and which way you apply to wallpaper to get rid of the dots on the lower right corner.
    04-14-08 11:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD