I plug my 8830 into my laptop and now I get this crazy message. Any ideas? Do I need to reinstall the drivers? I re-installed the software to no avail.
    "USB charging current is not sufficient. Verify that your handheld is connected to a powered USB charging source and that the proper USB driver is installed."
    07-04-08 10:37 PM
    Try charging it once using the AC charging adapter.
    07-04-08 10:43 PM
    This usually happens to me when I dont have Desktop manager installed. Dont ask me why.
    07-04-08 10:45 PM
    I've charged my 8703e and my new Curve via the USB port and haven't had any problems at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-08 10:52 PM
    Yep..I get the message when desktop manager is missing.

07-05-08 07:23 AM
    Wow, I didn't know that! I was wondering if: are you using the USB cable that come with the BB phone? I know that "SOME" Motorola RAZR cables "can" work, but not all...something to do with voltage in the cable.
    07-05-08 08:09 AM
    Another possible problem you may see is that some USB ports cannot deliver enough current to charge blackberries. Apparently not every manufacturer is fully compliant with the USB standard. Your most reliable charging option is the wall AC charger.

07-05-08 08:31 AM
    I am using the bb cable when this happens.

07-05-08 08:40 AM
    Another possible problem you may see is that some USB ports cannot deliver enough current to charge blackberries. Apparently not every manufacturer is fully compliant with the USB standard. Your most reliable charging option is the wall AC charger.

If all else works fine (i.e. DM sync and normal functions) this is probably the most likely reason. To my knowledge a USB2.0 port is needed to support the charging needs of the BB. I've seen people also have issues with this when they plug the BB into a USB hub.
    07-05-08 09:53 AM
    This error started for me when i plugged it into my computer but now it wont work even when plugged into the wall. I have the latest version of bb desktop manager unless they put out a new version. It is installed.
    12-21-09 10:18 AM
    If you can't charge with a wall charger, you most likely have a defective or worn out battery. If the battery is over a year old, consider replacing it. Another possible but less likely failure is in the USB connector on your BlackBerry. Look at the connector with a magnifying glass. If you can see any connector damage, and the BlackBerry is in warranty, exchange it for another BlackBerry. You can also look into having the connector replaced. Google USB repair to find repair services.

12-21-09 10:48 AM
    Thanks for all the replies. I looked at all the solutions and it turned out my cable was the wrong cable. They sent me a new one from the insurance.
    12-26-09 05:38 PM
    I am having a weird variation of this problem with a friend's BB Pearl. It works fine on several laptops but when I try on his new laptop with the same cable I'm getting that error message. Desktop Manager is installed and unfortunately we can't sync at all as DM doesn't recognize the BB.
    01-18-10 05:17 PM
    I assume you've tried more than one USB port on the laptop, and that you are not going through a hub, and that the BlackBerry is the only device on the port. If you've done all that, and it still doesn't work, the message may be misleading you. It's possible that it's a driver issue, not a power issue. If the new laptop is running XP, delete Desktop Manager and reinstall it to get the proper BlackBerry driver installed. Vista has BlackBerry drivers built-in and doesn't have the problem. Installing a new driver doesn't change the power output capability of the USB port, but it may clear that error message if the driver is the cause of it.
    01-18-10 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD