I was wondering if anyone had any experience upgrading the software on their 8830s with Cellular South. I'm big on the cellular south plans and they're the best coverage in my area - but they've got poor customer service. I've tried calling a few times today to find out how to go about upgrading my software and I get disconnected.

Anyway I'm a brand-spanking new crackberry user and I completely understand the crackberry term. My phone's version is currently 4.2.2.123 (platform 3.0.0.64). I love everything about the phone, but the ringers' a little low - the gps is a bit sketchy - and I'm hoping that upgrading the software will somewhat help.

Thanks
    10-17-07 05:38 PM
    same here. i love the phone but the ringer is a little low. still the true unlimited is unmatched.
    10-17-07 09:44 PM
    I definately want to go with True Unlimited - I'm nationwide share plus right now as I have two phones and My wife's not on a data plan. I'm trying to find out if they're going to do the True Unlimited like they did the Nationwide Plus with the second line under a shared plan being 50% off.

Messing around and finding another "issue" of sorts - it's nothing big, kind of annoying LOL. Vibrating before ringing instead of doing both at the same time. *edit: yes I do know this is something common with the BB and not too worried, just never thought it would annoy me like it does.
    Last edited by MrVoodoo; 10-17-07 at 10:00 PM.
    10-17-07 09:48 PM
    Customer Service told me today that 35' to 45' is normal for the Blackberry 8830 GPS to find a satellite. They're trying to contract with Telenav, which would be a huge improvement. Has anyone been able to speed up the GPS satellite locating? I agree, the plan is great, the ringer is quiet. My other disappointment was that XM comes on the phone, but the current Blackberry software doesn't support it. Supposedly it's a few builds away.

I'd like to hear from anyone with different information. Other than these few things, I think the phone's great. I had a Nokia E62, but this is a major leap forward.
    04-24-08 01:48 PM
    You can upgrade your os with any carrier's 8830 sw. OS Version 4.2.2.176 from Verizon does not help the low ringer volume. Your carrier is unlikely to help you. Check this link for instructions.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html

That said, I definitely don't recommend you do it until you are comfortable using your bb. You don't want to introduce more things to go wrong.

John1963: 35-40 minutes is way too long for the GPS to lock on. If you are stationary and haven't moved hundreds of miles since the last fix, it should be 2-3 minutes max.
    04-24-08 02:40 PM
    The ringer issue on the 8830 has not been fixed for any carrier and for any OS version up to date. Hopefully 4.5 will solve this... hopefully.
    04-24-08 05:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD