Apparently my ability to benefit from my shiny new 8GB micro-sd is hamstrung by my OS -- I'm running v4.2.2.176, and I've been advised to upgrade my OS. I read the crackberry 101 lecture on doing so, and the instructions involve the BB DSW. But I have been told by the IT dept NOT to install the DSW (we have BES here). Is there any way to upgrade the OS without using DSW? Thanks!
    04-13-09 09:20 AM
    Sorry. Only the 4.5 OS has the OTA update feature. You need Desktop Manager to get to 4.5.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-09 10:21 AM
    Here is a thought. Load it at home. Be careful. I'm a BES admin and periodicaly check the software versions of the BB on my network.

04-13-09 10:23 AM
    Can't the IT / BES peeps at your office do the upgrade for you?
    04-13-09 10:56 AM
    You do not need to load desktop manager. The download package comes with apploader located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe which will load 4.5 on your device when you delete the vendor.xml file.

Loader.exe backs up your current configuration and databases, loads 4.5, then restores the databases. FYI: you **may** have to get a new activation code, so that might give it away.
    04-13-09 11:29 AM
    Still be wary if it is a work supplied phone. A good BES admin will easily be able to tell if you upgrade your OS.

04-13-09 02:51 PM
    Thanks all! @Sandsjh-how do I delete vendor.xml? And what is an activation code? (Sorry, I'm pretty much a noob.)
    04-13-09 03:47 PM
    Can't the IT / BES peeps at your office do the upgrade for you?
    Still be wary if it is a work supplied phone. A good BES admin will easily be able to tell if you upgrade your OS.

Thanks all! @Sandsjh-how do I delete vendor.xml? And what is an activation code? (Sorry, I'm pretty much a noob.)

i really really wouldn't recommend upgrading your OS until you have gotten real familiar with your blackberry. It's not rocket science, but you can mess it up if you're not careful. As Don (and I said previously), may not be a good idea to do this without your BES folks' knowledge/blessing. That might be a violation of your company's IT policy, a pretty easy way to get sanctioned or worse.
    04-13-09 04:09 PM
    @LDubs - ok, good point, I'll run it by the IT dept first. Thanks again.
    04-13-09 07:18 PM

The many companies I have consulted for... I believe only one knew how to run the OS report.
    04-14-09 01:15 AM
    If you decide to upgrade your OS:

1. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
    2. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."

If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again and it should load the OS to the device.
    04-14-09 01:15 AM
    I guess I'm to efficient or anal because I check OS versions on the BES I admin.

04-14-09 09:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD