Hi everyone.

I'm relatively new to these forums, but CB.com has quickly become my top site for BB news, info and software.

Question:

I travel frequently outside the U.S. and love my 8830WE, but my contract is up this month, and I'm looking for recommendations / options for my next phone. Love the BB platform, but would like a model with a decent camera, more robust browser, and more memory for apps (or the flexibility to offload more to media cards).

Should I be looking at:

1. Immediate upgrade options (Storm, or change carriers to get Bold or even iPhone)?

2. Short wait, and pick up some of the rumored phones in Q1 (Niagara)? Is there a clear "successor" to the 8830WE on the RIM roadmap?

3. Long wait, and switch to something coming in late '09 or perhaps early '10?

Not trying to provoke any arguments, just looking for advice. Thanks in advance.

J.
    01-18-09 10:32 PM
    Hi everyone.

I'm relatively new to these forums, but CB.com has quickly become my top site for BB news, info and software.

Question:

I travel frequently outside the U.S. and love my 8830WE, but my contract is up this month, and I'm looking for recommendations / options for my next phone. Love the BB platform, but would like a model with a decent camera, more robust browser, and more memory for apps (or the flexibility to offload more to media cards).

Should I be looking at:

1. Immediate upgrade options (Storm, or change carriers to get Bold or even iPhone)?

2. Short wait, and pick up some of the rumored phones in Q1 (Niagara)? Is there a clear "successor" to the 8830WE on the RIM roadmap?

Not trying to provoke any arguments, just looking for advice. Thanks in advance.

J.
    the niagara is supposed to be the successor to the 8830. Im waiting on that too, but looking at my destination in June somewhere in the pacific only has GPRS then im going to just stick to my 8830 in the meantime
    01-19-09 12:20 PM
    the niagara is supposed to be the successor to the 8830. Im waiting on that too, but looking at my destination in June somewhere in the pacific only has GPRS then im going to just stick to my 8830 in the meantime

Thanks for the response.

So, is the Niagara is not functionally equivalent to the 8830WE as an international phone? Is it rumored to be HSPA-only or something?
    01-19-09 09:42 PM
    Thanks for the response.

So, is the Niagara is not functionally equivalent to the 8830WE as an international phone? Is it rumored to be HSPA-only or something?
    details are still sketchy, but reports say cdma/hspa so idk well have to see later on when more specs get leaked
    01-19-09 10:16 PM
    Hi everyone.

Question:

Should I be looking at:

J.
    Get the Storm if you want it -- I Love my storm but I am not going to tell you it is for everyone because it isn't. Either way my Storm replaced an 8830 WE in Red and I haven't looked back.

OR wait about 3 months (late April/Early May by most educated guesses) and get Niagara, a redesigned and improved CDMA Bold. So yes it is the successor to your 8830.

You wont have to wait that long. VZW has been doping prices on their existing BB's (other than Storm) lately to cut inventory. This is a very good sign that something new (Niagara) is coming. It could also be that they just don't want to go to the trouble of re flashing all of their inventory to the new 4.5 OS but I no longer believe that. They would have done this before Christmas if that was the case. No, I think Niagara will be coming sooner rather than later.
    01-20-09 12:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD