What is the most current version of the Blackberry DEVICE Software (is that what one calls the OS?) and the most current version of the Blackberry DESKTOP Manager Software?

My BB Device is v4.2.2.196 (Platform 3.0.0.84) and I don't see anything newer than that on the BB website. Is that correct?

My BB Desktop Manager Software is 4.2.2.12 and it looks like there are several more recent versions: Verizon is offering 4.3 but others are telling me I can download 4.6

Is updating the DM really going to help me with my device or just with synching? Lately I have been having problems with battery drain and poor call quality so I was hoping an ungrade would help....but if there is not a more current OS I can't imagine upgrading the DM will help.

What should I do? I have researched the other ways I may be draining my battery and am keeping my bluetooth off, except when needed and I have deleted the NPR, Slate and CNN WAP sites that I had downloaded (fearing they were always on). Should I get a memory card or a stronger battery or something? I got this phone off E-bay from an individual who represented it was hardly used she was issued a BB by her company. It certainly seemed brand new when I got it a couple weeks ago, and worked fine, but I've been having trouble since I started synching and had to do a wipe (CB says that could not have been the problem), and I got an Otterbox (how could that possibly be causing a problem) so now I am wondering if I have a lemon or what.

Any ideas welcome.
    10-06-08 04:27 PM
    Pull your battery to solve your stability issues. You have no "official" options of upgrading the OS on the handset currently. Also getting a memory card will not help with apps or cached info on the device memory. None of that can go on the memory card. It's just for media and media alone.
    10-06-08 05:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD