I have been reading these forums for a while but this is my first post. I really needed to ask if anyone has any info beyond what is on the Unify4Life website about how the program will work on a 8830. I have become extremely interested in what the program can do I am just worried that because of the low memory on the 8830 it will slow the phone down. All the videos show it working on a curve and I was thinking of picking up a curve but with the 9000 series on the way I do not know if it is worth it right now. If anyone has any extra info it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    05-15-08 10:38 PM
    Welcome!! I have not seen any more infor on this software. Im sure you have seen the video demo of it.
    05-15-08 10:45 PM
    I don't think anyone knows what's beyond the site and what's been announced. I would assume it's going to take up more memory than most apps, so you may have to get rid of some if you wanted to use U4L on your 8830, and you're already low on memory.
    05-16-08 08:44 AM
    They don't even describe how the BB communicates with their box or puck. Bluetooth, data, phone???

Nor how ONE puck can communicate with various devices that might be IR or "radio" controlled. And devices that might be spreadout or behind closed doors.

I've got a Harmony. But I had to get what I will call a "repeater" to capture the Harmony and convey the IR signals into a closed cabinet. Inside that cabinet there is an array of wires that end in little ir repeaters positioned in front of 5 different devices. At the top of that cabinet is an IR-capture thingie that is wired into the cabinet.

They make their device sound so simple - I don't think so!
    05-16-08 09:15 AM
    Inside that cabinet there is an array of wires that end in little ir repeaters positioned in front of 5 different devices.
    This array of wires w/IR bulbs is also how this device will work. Also, the connectivity to the box from the BB appears to be Bluetooth in the video (blinking Blue LED on Curve), but may also be WiFi. If they plan on WAN connectivity from remote locaitons it would have to implement WiFi to make for easier connections to the home Internet Gateway/Router.
    05-16-08 09:50 AM
    Thank you all for your replies. At the moment I am doing pretty good on memory. I went through and did all the removal or extra stuff that I would never use so I really do not have much on the phone. And yes the program sounds a little too good to be true but it looks like it is worth a shot at least.
    05-16-08 10:04 AM
    I still can't get over the fact that it's just a remote control app.

I'm more excited about beta testing the Slingbox client then this product.
    05-16-08 10:13 AM
    any news on the slingbox for bb yet? count me in on the beta testing.
    05-16-08 10:52 AM
    I have been reading these forums for a while but this is my first post. I really needed to ask if anyone has any info beyond what is on the Unify4Life website about how the program will work on a 8830. I have become extremely interested in what the program can do I am just worried that because of the low memory on the 8830 it will slow the phone down. All the videos show it working on a curve and I was thinking of picking up a curve but with the 9000 series on the way I do not know if it is worth it right now. If anyone has any extra info it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Hi the application will take about 400K of memory, but we're working to compress that over the next 4 months, until release October 1st.

Thanks for your interest in our product.
    05-26-08 06:37 AM
    They don't even describe how the BB communicates with their box or puck. Bluetooth, data, phone???

Nor how ONE puck can communicate with various devices that might be IR or "radio" controlled. And devices that might be spreadout or behind closed doors.

I've got a Harmony. But I had to get what I will call a "repeater" to capture the Harmony and convey the IR signals into a closed cabinet. Inside that cabinet there is an array of wires that end in little ir repeaters positioned in front of 5 different devices. At the top of that cabinet is an IR-capture thingie that is wired into the cabinet.

They make their device sound so simple - I don't think so!
    Hi the "Puck" communicates to your Blackberry thru Bluetooth, and translates the commands to IR. It can also communicate directly to devices like the Playstation 3, via Bluetooth.

During WES we demonstrated both "line of site" and "in cabinet" use of the product.

You are correct, "IR Extenders" are required. These are about a $30.00 option for up to 8 devices that are located behind a cabinet wall.

I hope that clears things up for you, if not let me know.
    05-26-08 06:42 AM
    Hi the "Puck" communicates to your Blackberry thru Bluetooth, and translates the commands to IR. It can also communicate directly to devices like the Playstation 3, via Bluetooth.

During WES we demonstrated both "line of site" and "in cabinet" use of the product.

You are correct, "IR Extenders" are required. These are about a $30.00 option for up to 8 devices that are located behind a cabinet wall.

I hope that clears things up for you, if not let me know.
    Well, if it can communicate with my existing IR EXTENDERS, then put me down as a beta tester The antique armoire almost defeated me for a while!
    05-26-08 12:12 PM
    any news on the slingbox for bb yet? count me in on the beta testing.
    I'm with you on the Slingbox beta! A friend of mine has it on his XV6800 and loves it. He never gets any worl done because he's always on it!

One question about the site: I can't find a "buy it now" button on the buy page. It just has the price listed. Anyone else see this?
    05-26-08 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD