Gurus,

Given that I have an icon on the screen that indicates I've received a voicemail, I don't need the SMS notification as well. However, I can't seem to find the option to turn this off.

Having to constantly go in to clear SMS messages is a hassle I'd like to avoid.

Any suggestions?

TIA
    GG
    06-13-08 05:21 PM
    Call Voicemail, under admin options, turn off notification.
    06-13-08 05:38 PM
    I'm not seeing this under "Phone Options" or the plain "Options" menus. Under "Phone Options" > "Voicemail", my only choices are access number and password.

I'm running OS 4.2.2.176. if that makes a difference.

Any other suggestions?

TIA again,
    GG
    06-13-08 05:51 PM
    If u do it in the admin section will it turn of the numbered count on my home screen n the pop up notification?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-08 06:37 PM
    I'm not seeing this under "Phone Options" or the plain "Options" menus. Under "Phone Options" > "Voicemail", my only choices are access number and password.

I'm running OS 4.2.2.176. if that makes a difference.

Any other suggestions?

TIA again,
    GG
    I could be wrong, but I think JRSCCivic98 means to call your voicemail box.
    06-13-08 07:19 PM
    Any other suggestions?
    06-13-08 07:23 PM
    After calling my carrier's tech support (TMOBILE) we were able to eliminate the SMS notification of voicemails however if you have a recent/new simcard (I got one this morning) it now gives you a large popup window for VM notification as opposed to just the VM icon at top left. An annoyance, but one I can do nothing about. Hope this helps.

running the beta 4.5.0.37 by the way. no need for the official.
    06-13-08 08:45 PM
    The only options I can configure here are the mailbox number and password - there's no provision for notification / no notification. I'm guessing that's just how this phone is configured by VZW.

Thanks to all who responded so quickly.

GG
    06-13-08 09:30 PM
    You have to turn off notifications from your voive mail. *86 or dial your cell # enter your password. Then you will or shld be able to get to options I can't tell you which button it is but once you find it turn off notifications and tht shld get rid of the text notification/but it may remove the icon notify as well. It don't bother me so I ddnt try it. (Typing good to be drinking). Hope you figure it out dude/dudette. Later.

06-14-08 01:09 AM
    This is one of those very non-intuitive tweeks. This is a function of your carrier, not your phone. Essentially, getting a message triggers Verizon, for example, to "outcall" [Don't you love the new, tech verbs?] your "pager" which is really your phone. This sends you a message that you have a message. Great.
    You have to kill this by going into your own voicemail box. Here are the instructions from Verizon:
    Enhanced Voice Mail Service
    Enhanced Voice Mail is Voice Mail with Pager Notification. You'll be notified of messages deposited in your voice mailbox via your pager. When you see your cellular telephone number displayed on your pager, you'll know a message has been deposited. This feature may not be available with some pagers. Please contact Customer Service with your pager number in order to have Enhanced Voice Mail set up. Then follow these simple steps:
    Set up your greeting.
    Access your voice mailbox. Then from the main menu:
    Press [4] for Personal Options.
    Press [1] for Outcall Notification.
    Press [1] to turn notification "ON".
    Press [1] to return to Personal Options.
    Press [4] to establish Pager Notification schedule.
    06-02-09 09:07 AM
    And just as a suggestion, you might check out YouMail. I've been using it for a while, itt's very nice, and they have a visual voicemail app that you can download that works nicely. You can also access your voicemail from any computer, and even save them as MP3's.

06-02-09 06:54 PM
    Does anyone know how to do this with Telus??? I've tried on the voicemail system to no avail, and called tech support (DNA) and they said there was no such feature, HELP! Thanks in advance.
    06-03-09 09:13 AM
    okay so this is what a verizon tech told me on the phone, after 30min of waiting and being redirected

the voice mail indicator only shows up because of the SMS that your phone receives saying that you have a voicemail

without the SMS, your phone would never know that it has a voicemail in the first place - thus there isn't any way to turn off this SMS indicator without also turning off the message waiting indicator (you can turn off BOTH from your voicemail options)

hope this clears things up for people
    06-30-09 09:47 PM
    why then do old phones such as my Samsung Gleam, etc never show these SMSs?
    10-24-09 08:39 PM
    Options - Security options - Firewall - Block SMS and select except whoever you still want sms's from
    Last edited by blarki; 10-28-09 at 01:55 PM.
    10-28-09 01:52 PM
    I am a Blackberry Tour user and have had the very same problem with the Notification Icon staying on.
    The cure is not with your carrier.
    Go to your home screen highlight the SMS/MMS/VM Icon a pop-up will tell you which has messages stored. ie. 1 SMS or 1 MMS or 1VM to open the one that has the stored message use ALT S for SMS ALT M for MMS and ALT V for Voice Mail.
    You must act/open any unopened items to clear the Icon from your screen.
    Happy Touring.

N9QIP
    12-19-09 08:26 PM
    So here is what you need to do so you can turn off that annoying SMS message everytime you receive a voice mail.
    Options, security, firewall, block SMS and then the contact button becomes high lighted and click that. Done!!!
    12-23-09 02:55 PM
    yeah that's the only way, but then you block any texts from anyone who isn't in your contact list. If that's cool with you then no prob.
    12-23-09 05:18 PM
    So here is what you need to do so you can turn off that annoying SMS message everytime you receive a voice mail.
    Options, security, firewall, block SMS and then the contact button becomes high lighted and click that. Done!!!
    This did the trick - - eliminated the SMS message while still allowing the Voice Mail icon. The only thing I would add is to be sure that the Firewall is Enabled. Mine wasn't. Thanks for a quick and easy fix to a very annoying screen worm (sort of like an ear worm).
    07-17-10 08:00 PM
    Make sure you have your contacts formatted the way they are sent via SMS. The number is sent 5558985858 via SMS. If you have the number in the contacts as (555)898-5858 or 555-898-5858 the firewall will block it! Why can't rim just give us the option to turn off the SMS VM alert all it would take is one simple option in the firewall. check this box to stop SMS VM alert message. RIM frustrates me a lot. They move at a snails pace. Are they Research in SLOW Motion??!!
    08-09-10 11:56 AM
    you da Geek blarki.

durn thing been pestering heck out of me.

same problem with voicemail as others menu.

Security change was great fix. I simply allow all contacts. So people get through, stupid machines dont.

thanku thanku thanku
    03-31-11 03:20 PM
    hey guys, i just got my bold and i'm really annoyed by the new voice mail sms notifier. I read up on it and found out that you turn it off by going to voice mail then admin options, i tried that and it still doesn't work. all i would like is to have the indicator on my homescreen that looks sort of like o_o ... not the sms notification... any ideas? all help is greatly appreciated <3
    04-13-11 03:42 PM
    For 11 mos I've had Vmail and when phone was activated I explicitly said NO Vmail ACCOUNT. Wasn't given passwords or whatever you get -- HATE voicemails. It's a BB-8330 and BoostMobile was all Okie Dokie, customer service is what we do. I never set it up but a voice says leave a msg. People I know leave one but I get 3-7 SMS Vmail msgs 'round the clock and indicator always says I have 10-20 Vmails. But with 95% of those SMS notices the phone does not ring. Just a r-tone when the msgs quietly pops up! PLEASE HELP -- Miss Okie Dokie won't. THX MUCH!

10-28-11 08:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD