I am having troubles with the headphone plug on my 8830 and wondering if my unit is defective.

The headphones I got with the unit work fine. I notice it's 2.5 mm plug but has three "stripes" on the plug. I assume the extra stripe or segment on the plug is for the control.

However when I try to plug in any kind of external speakers to the socket, not a single thing works. I tried using the 2.5 mm male to 3.5 mm male cable that I thought I got with my 8830 and that doesn't work. I tried using a host of different cables, different adapters and speakers, all of which work with my MP3 player and none of those will work. As soon as you plug make the connection between the BB and the speaker device, the sound is head by a brief moment and then it reverts back to the BB. I am wondering if this is an issue of power and that the BB doesn't have enough power to drive the speakers. Or some impedance problem. Actually in both cases the speakers I am trying are powered speakers anyway and my tiny little MP3 player drives them fine.

Any help appreciated at least to know whether this is a limitation of the unit or a defective unit. Thanks.
    08-03-07 03:28 PM
    I also bought a 3/32 male to 1/8 femal cord intended to work with a cell phone that can play mp3's. I bought it from Radio Shack. When I tried to play a song from my BB using a pair of standard head phones using this cord, the song would play from the speaker phone. I couldn't find an option to activate the headset or anything similar. I ultimately would like to connect my BB to a set of desktop speakers, similar to above. Any help on this?
    12-21-07 10:16 PM
    Same problem here. I have couple regular headphones, one with three ring on it, and they work fine. I can listen music and talk when needed without problem, but they kind of looking goofy.
    I bouth couple headphones identical ones to the iPod headphones, but with two ring on it. They fit perfectly but only left earbud works, no sound from the other one.
    Anyhow, I don't think anything but three ring plug with work with blackberry.
    If there is a way, somebody answer.
    12-21-07 10:34 PM
    This is the only one that's been proven to work:

I don't have enough posts to post a URL, but go to www(dot)seidioonline(dot)com and search for STANDARD AUDIO ADAPTOR FOR 8100/8800/8830
    12-22-07 04:11 AM
    Had similar problem; even had a radio shack 3 stripe adaptor. It was recommended to try the Seidio Standard Audio Adaptor for BlackBerry, bought it from here (Crackberry) and it works great.
    12-22-07 09:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD