Hi,

I'm trying to import the address book from my old Treo into my 8830. I've got the .csv file ready, and have the 4.3 version of Desktop manager installed Then I do the following:

Click on the Synchronize button on the Desktop main page

Click the Configuration tab

Click the Configure Synch button

Click on Setup and make sure Intellisync is configured to receive .CSV format data

Select ASCII IMporter/Exporter to download to the blackberry

Go back to the Synchronize tab and click Synchronize Now

The syncronization process starts, but then I get the following error when it gets to the address book:

Error Encountered: Error Code 0x80040057 Check Documentation.

Naturally I can find no reference to this error in the blackberry documentation. I did find it as some sort of Windows error using Google, bit I didn't understand the explanation. Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    12-08-07 10:37 AM
    Hi There,

As bad as you might hate the notion of my answer here it is:

I ported my contacts into outlook 2003 via the palmdesktop software by using the outlook conduit. Then when I got my 8830, I synched the info right back in the 8830 and wallah.. Its all there. Might have to change the P: for any pager #s or anything since P = PIN which is blackberry specific. You can continue to use Palm Desktop -->outlook ---> blackberry. Its a pain but it does work. I mainly use outlook 2003 sometimes. But for the most part the blackberry doesnt crash as nearly as the Treo so backing it up is a non issue. Back it up once a week and you'll be fine.
    12-08-07 11:43 AM
    Exactly the same problem for me, too. Although I don't have Outlook, our company uses Lotus Notes so I don't have a work around.
    12-15-07 02:08 PM
    I used Outlook as a go between like mentioned above it worked for me. I was moving the phone book from a PPc 6800 to the 8830. I did have to remap the some fields to get all the numbers over, trial and error since I worked on it late at night when the hamster wheels weren't turning very fast.
    12-17-07 12:44 AM
    Hi,

I'm trying to import the address book from my old Treo into my 8830. I've got the .csv file ready, and have the 4.3 version of Desktop manager installed
    The syncronization process starts, but then I get the following error when it gets to the address book:

Error Encountered: Error Code 0x80040057 Check Documentation.

Naturally I can find no reference to this error in the blackberry documentation. I did find it as some sort of Windows error using Google, bit I didn't understand the explanation. Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Thanks,
    Jeff

I got the same error. The problem was that I had single quotes checked and it was double quotes. ( a 2 pronged quote mark as opposed to a single prong)

Some other problems I ran into were date formatting, hour/minute formatting, field names...

I suggest putting one record in the BB and then sync it out to your computer so you can see what it is supposed to look like.

l8r
    05-22-08 10:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD