im wondering what T series screws the 8830 WE has in it. i am going to be puting a black case on my 8830 verizon phone (i hate the silver) so im just wondering what tools will be neded to take apart the BB. anythoughts would be helpfull.

Thanks,

-Ferris
    09-03-07 05:53 PM
    They've usually been T-6
    09-03-07 06:43 PM
    You need a Torx T-4. Radio Shack has a small screwdriver kit that has one in it.
    The screwdriver has magnetic replaceable bits, and the bits stow away in the handle. The handle is red and clear plastic in color. I can not find/see it on the Radio Shack web site though. Hope that helps.

Found this one with a google search.
    Torx #4 ( T4 ) Screwdriver - Motorola RAZR V3
    Last edited by Trevor; 09-03-07 at 08:21 PM. Reason: activated link
    09-03-07 07:26 PM
    If they're T4, then that's different than all the other BB's I've disassembled. I've not disassembled the 8830, though.
    09-03-07 09:32 PM
    im wondering what T series screws the 8830 WE has in it. i am going to be puting a black case on my 8830 verizon phone (i hate the silver) so im just wondering what tools will be neded to take apart the BB. anythoughts would be helpfull.

Thanks,

-Ferris
    Where did you get a black replacement case/screen?
    09-07-07 06:09 PM
    I just replaced the housing with the full black housing and all I needed was a T-5 torx tool, picked it up from home depot.

I got the full black housing and black keypad from here:

hxxp://cnn.cn/shop/blackberry-8830-c-200_342.html

they actually sent a T-6 and a slim little prying tool to take the side rails off with, but the T-6 did not fit the screws in my bb
    09-08-07 10:00 AM
    Whoa. Okay...I have to ask some questions. I would love to change mine out for the black one. But I can only assume this voids the warranty. Right?

Also, what does this do to any insurance plan?

Next...of course I'm gonna ask for step by step instructions so I don't screw mine up royally. Thanks in advance!
    09-08-07 04:08 PM
    id really be interested in doing the same and wouldn't mind taking pix to document the adventure for other users that might be interested. some finite steps to the process would be needed but i'll do the rest of the work if anyone is interested in collaborating
    09-16-07 11:10 PM
    I replaced mine with the black housing about a month ago. The 8830 does indeed take a T-4 and the process is generally easy. Pulling off the sides is the hardest, it feels like you are breaking them, but they just seem to snap off and then right back on again. About two weeks ago, I lost all signal in my phone, so I put the silver housing back on and took it back to the store. They ordered me a new one and had me ship the old one back - no problems at all. I put the black housing on the new one (it went much quicker since I knew what to expect) and it's been working fine ever since. There is a photo sequence somewhere out there of changing the housing on the 8800, which is very similar, but with the 8830, you don't need to take off the LCD or antenna, or mess with any of the internal pieces, just swap the covers. It took me about 20 minutes the first time (due to the hesitation on the sides) but the second time it took less than 5.
    **** those side will break, pry them gently, but it does take some force ****
    Last edited by Legbo; 09-17-07 at 11:07 AM.
    09-17-07 11:04 AM
    legbo, do you think replacesing the lens cover would be fairly simple? i've got a scratch right in the middle that's bugging the **** out of me and so far no scratch remover or cover up has made much of a dent in it. I was hesitant to try to take the 8830 apart at all.
    09-17-07 01:03 PM
    It is fairly simple, though that's easy to say since I have done it.... the link to CNN earlier in the post is the same place I got my black housing, they sell black and silver, full housings, or just the front or back (cheaper). Here is a link to instructions: blackberryfaq.com/index.php/8800_Disassembly

Again, this is for the 8800, the 8830 does NOT require removing the antenna or other parts, once you complete step 5, you just put it back together with the new housing - taking off the front cover (last thing to do, after step 5) is a bit tricky, you just have to work it off, FROM THE BOTTOM UP, it snaps off, work gently, but with some force, just like the sides.
    Good Luck!

Remember the 8830 takes a T-4, not a T-6 like the 8800, I also used a small pocket knife and large paperclip since CNN did not send a pry tool with my housing, easy work around.
    Last edited by Legbo; 09-17-07 at 04:09 PM.
    09-17-07 04:05 PM
    Just put the "http://" in front of the link, no "www"
    (sorry I can't post links yet).
    09-17-07 04:07 PM
    wow, thanks for this valuable information...! I originally didn't order the black housing because I was afraid of all those steps after 5 in those dissasembly instructions. I didn't want to mess up the LCD or antenna or anything.

but now that I know it's much easier for 8830, I just placed the order for the black casing!
    09-19-07 01:12 PM
    Will this destroy your warranty?
    09-27-07 08:45 PM
    Not sure if it will void warranty, however, when I needed to exchange my 8830 due to a technical issue, I just put the silver housing back on and took it in. There was no problem at all (that is, they never asked if I had opened it, if you do it correctly, you can't tell). I put the black housing on my new 8830 and no problems since!
    09-28-07 10:10 AM
    Hey thanks. Hopin to get one for Christmas. Don't know if my parents will let me get one.
    10-02-07 07:14 PM
    Got my order confirmation today. I had originally swapped out the black keyboard and had a black faceplate but the faceplate got messed so I figured I'd might as well go for changing the whole thing out. Taking the sides off WAS very difficult in changing the keyboard but I think once you get a feel for it, it shouldn't be too bad.
    10-03-07 07:06 PM
    wow that looks great. i think i'll change all of the silver with black, but keep the chrome sides.

this forum is awesome.
    10-04-07 10:40 AM
    to everyone that wants a workthrough with pictures or a video, ill be putting one up on youtube next week when i get the phone and the black case. thanks for all of the imput on the right type of tools.

-Ferris
    10-25-07 05:20 PM
    there is already a good video up on the site where i got the case from, since i looked for it they have added a second one so i think that should help people that want to do this.

Good Luck!

-Ferris
    11-05-07 11:35 AM
    From the blackberry warranty itself:

"This Limited Warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear or if any component of the BlackBerry hardware is opened or repaired by someone not authorized by RIM"

So, if you open it, you void it. Unless you're a RIM authorized repair person.

http://www.blackberry.com/legal/pdfs...es_English.pdf
    11-05-07 12:35 PM
    From the blackberry warranty itself:

"This Limited Warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear or if any component of the BlackBerry hardware is opened or repaired by someone not authorized by RIM"

So, if you open it, you void it. Unless you're a RIM authorized repair person.

http://www.blackberry.com/legal/pdfs...es_English.pdf
    Well unless RIM has installed spy cameras in my house they won't know I opened it up, lots of folks have already posted that there are no seals or tamper indicators in the phone. Besides every time I have had a warranty replacement phone nobody has even looked at my old phone before sending me the replacement.
    11-05-07 01:22 PM
    agreed, which is why I'm in favor of replacing the housing and should I ever get an 8830 I will most certainly do. I just have to be careful not to damage the old one so it doesnt look like its been opened.
    11-05-07 01:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD