I have a normal USA family share plan with data. When I need to, I turn on my tethering service for about $1/day ($30/mo).

I am going to London next week. Will my phone tether to my computer there? If so, will it cost more? I dont care about phone calls...just tethering.
    10-13-08 01:54 PM
    Tethering wil work just fine in London but the cost per Mb will be high so check this out before you leave.

A better way would be to find a free WiFi hotspot There's loads in London. Here's a non-definitive link Londonist: Free Wifi in London...Mapped. I just Googled 'wifi hotspots in london' .

If you are feeling a bit anarchistic then read this link too ISN 2002/07: [ISN] Chalk symbols expose London's wireless points. There is sub-culture in London that puts chalk marks on the sidewalks (the Brits call them pavements) to denote a company that has an open WiFi AP.
    10-13-08 02:21 PM
    Thanks, do you know how much it will be per Mb to tether in London? I dont mind paying a few bucks to surf the web when i need it, but id ont want to break the bank.

Thanks again
    10-13-08 02:28 PM
    No I don't I'm a Brit living in Switzerland who gets scared everytime he goes near the Uk because of the charges.

You need to call Verizon on two counts
    1). cost per Mb
    2). is there a CDMA carrier in London? As far as I know London is 100% GSM and your phone is CDMA.
    10-13-08 02:34 PM
    VZW does have a BB global data plan for about $65/mo for "unlimited" (really 5GB far as I know) instead of the standard $30 BB plan that you can use assuming you have a VZW/Vodaphone SIM card in your 8830. If you don't have one you can call CS and order one or go to your local store and pick one up. Some people say they have gotten them for free when the call global support, others say they have been charged ~$30-40 for them. The global plan can be turned on and off at will and is prorated. Other wise I believe the charge from UK is .02/Kb or $20/Mb. on the pay as you go plan but you can check on the VZW web site under international roaming for the exact price.

BTW the 8830 is a dual mode CDMA/GSM phone, not a CDMA only phone as someone suggested in an earlier post. You may have to adjust the setting under the mobile network section of options to allow the phone to pick the GSM network in the UK assuming you have installed a SIM.
    Last edited by pete1118; 10-13-08 at 05:07 PM.
    10-13-08 04:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD