Does anyone have any idea how to tether my 8830 so I can use it with my laptop?
    Thanks
    07-28-08 03:27 PM
    you need to have the service through verizon. it is a few $$ more a month to use the function. and it works pretty good. you get at least dsl speed from it.
    07-28-08 03:47 PM
    I have VZW service, I would like to use my BB to surf, I have the cord and everything, just cant figure it out.
    07-28-08 03:57 PM
    You need to download VZAccess Manager:

h ttp://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/download.aspx?ct=personal

(Take the space out of the http, it wouldn't let me post otherwise)
    07-29-08 09:33 AM
    Does anyone have any idea how to tether my 8830 so I can use it with my laptop?
    Thanks
    First , you need to purchase the tethering option from Verizon. If you are on the $29.99 plan, I believe it's an additional $15 /mo.

Second, download the VZ Access software and install it before you plug your phone in.

BlackBerry® Software Updates
    07-29-08 09:53 AM
    You don't even need Access Manager if you don't want to install it.

Just setup a DialUpNetworking connection in Windows as follows.

Install Desktop Manager (should already have that running) and make sure it's running and minmized. Then go into network connections and build a new network connection to connect to DialUp. Pick the Standard Modem that should have loaded on a COM port when the BB is plugged in. For dial number type in #777. No username or password is needed. Just hit dial. If you did everything correctly, you will be connected to the web. If you haven't yet subscribe to tethering, you'll be routed to a "walled garden" VZW page that asks you to subscribe to the service.
    07-29-08 01:53 PM
    You don't even need Access Manager if you don't want to install it.

Just setup a DialUpNetworking connection in Windows as follows.

Install Desktop Manager (should already have that running) and make sure it's running and minmized. Then go into network connections and build a new network connection to connect to DialUp. Pick the Standard Modem that should have loaded on a COM port when the BB is plugged in. For dial number type in #777. No username or password is needed. Just hit dial. If you did everything correctly, you will be connected to the web. If you haven't yet subscribe to tethering, you'll be routed to a "walled garden" VZW page that asks you to subscribe to the service.
    How would this effect the need to install drivers for the phone to be recognized as "a modem"?
    07-30-08 09:22 AM
    If you have the DM already installed, it usually already sets the driver up for you, you should check though to ensure. You should have a standard modem, that is the one for the phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-08 09:25 AM
    Check out the link in my signature for a step by step how-to.
    07-30-08 12:22 PM
    If you have the DM already installed, it usually already sets the driver up for you, you should check though to ensure. You should have a standard modem, that is the one for the phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Exactly, the install for Destop Manager will install drivers for the BB to be recognized as a BB and as a modem for tethering mode. These drivers get enabled while DM is running... that's why I said you must have DM running and minimized to use DUN in Windows.
    07-30-08 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD