Hi Guys-
    I've been doing some research and I'm a bit confused on how taking my BBWE to Europe is going to work. Many answered my thread before, and said Verizon doesn't use SIM cards- Yet you can get one through the country you are visiting to avoid being hit with the ungodly Verizon charges? I guess if you could lay down the basics for me, it would help! Using a BB is a totally different world

P.s. The countries I will be visiting: Ireland, UK, Germany, and Switzerland (If that matters).
    02-06-09 10:36 AM
    The 8830WE from Verizon or others DOES USE SIM CARDS!

When I purchased my Verizon 8830, they gave me their Sim card for free. Of course, I have not had any use for it since I have not left the USA/Canada area. But soon after I read about UNLOCKING THE SIM CARD (as opposed to unlocking the phone to use on other carriers). I called the Verizon global group and they led me through the process (see the sticky thread at the top of this forum). Supposedly, I can use foreign sim cards which provide cheaper rates than Verizon if I ever get back to Europe.

I am not really familiar with sim stuff besides what I've outlined above. I don't know, for instance, if the Verizon sim card allows both phone and DATA when in Europe. I know the costs will be high.

I've read two different views on whether you can opt into Verizon's "foreign" plans for only a month at a time or only annually.

I have also read that you can get foreign data or not.

Hopefully, someone with knowledge will drop into this thread.
    02-06-09 11:51 AM
    The 8830WE from Verizon or others DOES USE SIM CARDS!

I've read two different views on whether you can opt into Verizon's "foreign" plans for only a month at a time or only annually.
    I took my WE to Amsterdam last summer with a Verizon SIM Card; it connected to the Vodaphone network and worked just fine.

I was able to opt in to the "Foreign" plan for just the time I was in Europe and then opt out again.
    02-06-09 12:12 PM
    I took my WE to Amsterdam last summer with a Verizon SIM Card; it connected to the Vodaphone network and worked just fine.

I was able to opt in to the "Foreign" plan for just the time I was in Europe and then opt out again.
    I agree. If you do nothing, all phone stuff works. You can get the International Voice and Data Plan which marginally reduces your per minute rate, and this can be for just the amount of time you are traveling.
    02-06-09 12:20 PM
    You can also call Verizon and get the sim unlocked and use a European sim card of your choosing for voice. Of course, your number will change, but your costs will be much lower. Either way, you need a sim card. I, also, got my sim card for free from Verizon.
    02-07-09 03:17 PM
    I agree with the posts here. I've used mine (with the VZW sim card) in Russia, UK, and Egypt. Can't say much about rates since I'm on a company plan, but the rates are typically cheaper than AT&T that friends use. The phone will automatically find a network, or you can manually search for one.

Rates with local sim cards will be cheaper, but your number will change, and you must unlock the phone first.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-09 05:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD