I am a part time stock trader and also work a full time job. The two clash on a daily basis and I purchased the Blackberry with stock trading in serious consideration. At work, I do have access to computer terminals throughout the work place and keep a quotes window open, on at least one computer at any one time; without any issues from co-workers (the computers are only used now-and-then). However, finding the time to get to them on a regular basis, especially when I'm momentum trading (stock traders know what I mean), could be very stressful at times. I always thought that having a trading platform in my pocket would be the cooolest thing and could save/make me money at the same time.

I have tried several stock trading platforms since I acquired my Blackberry 8830. I will not disclose the software that I have tried, since that would not be fair to the company (since I don't do reviews professionally). But I will tell you that the software developers that designed the software for stock quote purposes only want your money! The software is very unprofessional and basically useless for true trading practices. I needed a solution...

I was looking for brokerage account access and trading platform performance that my broker offers. I was looking for something user friendly, with a nice UI, that could actually give me true real-time stock quotes and charts. What I tried is freeware, shareware and buyware that is pure garbage!

A breakdown of a typical package from free to $+, is as follows. Real-time quotes have a 20 min delay. Do these people have a clue as to what real-time actually means? I can get a 20 min delayed quote from Yahoo! for free. I want to know what is going on in my stock(s) up to the minute, if not the second. When I glance at my BB, I want to see an up-to-the-minute quote not a delayed quote that is considered real-time? That is false advertising. Please...

I want an easily customizable watch-list without creating a tedious portfolio. Simply punch in the symbol and it's being tracked along with a list of others. Added to the list as you like. Nice and simple. Nicely presented in decent sized font on my BB screen.

A tiny mono-colored simple chart just doesn't cut it. I want to see a color, fully functional, indicator laced candle stick chart! Blackberry graphics and bandwidth can certainly handle it. What I get is a microscopic line chart with a 20 min. delay and no preference settings.

Now why can't anyone develop software that is of any use to a trader? With a little hair pulling and thought, I came up with a solution...

My broker, again I'll stay away from naming the company, has a really nice real-time quote window and a decent chart, Level II if you want it, as well. But I also subscribe to a really nice stocks charting website. Now what about actual trading through my BB? I'm thinking... I'm paying for all this useful software on my PC and I can't even access any of this through my Blackberry?!?! Now wait a second...

I decided to try out a Remote Desktop App just this morning and wallah! My brokerage account(s), my other accounts, real Real-time quotes, Level II, my personal charts, my notes, my spreadsheets, my software, my this, my that!!! All on my Blackberry 8830 anywhere, anytime!!! I can access anything in true real-time (3 second delay normal) and can even trade in real-time! Now we're talking!! Remote Desktops are not the be-all-end-all to BB trading or Apps, but it's damn close!

Think about it. You are already paying for your subscriptions and software. Now you have to double up to have the same flexibility on your BB? Why not get the best of both worlds and buy what you need and want for your PC and use just one piece of software on your Blackberry to access it all! The choice of Mobile Remote Desktop software is yours. There are several choices out there and I will be trying them all! Please feel free to post your suggestions.

Caution: Recommended for an Unlimited Data Access plan only!

Have fun and enjoy!

BTW, Sorry for the long winded post. I just wanted you to feel my frustration and therefore wanted to get my point across.
    Last edited by anomalyberry; 11-27-07 at 09:25 PM.
    11-27-07 08:54 PM
    I read your post and my frustrations are exactly the same. I need to be ablr to trade at work. The mobile remote desktop idea is phenominal!

What programs have you tried so far, and with what success?

Thanks for the great idea!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-07 06:42 PM
    I read your post and my frustrations are exactly the same. I need to be ablr to trade at work. The mobile remote desktop idea is phenominal!

What programs have you tried so far, and with what success?

Thanks for the great idea!

I tried RDM+ by Shape Services and loved how it functioned and the ease of setting it up. I just downloaded the software for my BB and the client software onto my Windows XP Pro based system at home and I was ready to go in minutes.

My 7 day trial period expired yesterday so I spent the night looking at other remote mobile desktops. Rove, formerly Idokorro Mobile Desktop looked promising until I tried setting it up for my computer. I am behind a router/firewall and ZoneAlarm security software, along with having disabled remote desktop services and VCN on my system when I first installed Windows. My computer is like a ghost! It's invisible to everything and everyone, unless I establish a connection and I like it that way. It has been on 24/7 for over 4 years and I never got hacked or acquired any virus, worm, trojan, or malicious software... Ever! For me to have to mess around with my system settings, registry and services to accommodate the software just didn't make much sense. The same went for the other Shape Services products, TSMobiles and VNC+.

I was under the impression that there was more RDM type software available for my BB, but apparently, I didn't have much luck finding any others. I'm sure there is other software, but since RMD+ worked so well for me, I decided to take the plunge and just buy that package. I figured that it's so easy to setup, that I could put a client on my son's, daughter's, friend's, and work's computer anytime I need to, without fiddling with security and IP settings. So this product was the winner for me.

I suggest that you try other RDM software for yourself. You might like the interface and features better than RDM+. What I really like is the ability to zoom way in on my desktop and being able to have FULL control over my system. The only drawback to the software is that you can exceed the data limit per session. It's not a big deal since you can just reconnect in seconds, but I found out that you don't want to stay connected for hours anyway, because of the massive power drain on your battery!

I hope that I was helpful and that you will have the same positive experience as I am having with RDM software, while using it to check quotes and charts in real-time. I think it's worth the one time charge of $50 and unlimited access to my computer. Well, time for work. Take care and enjoy!
    11-30-07 05:52 AM
    That's funny, I installed RDM+ yesterday after I posted my reply here. I connected to the test server and played with it a little; it seems like a nice piece of software. When I zoomed in, the connection was a little laggy. Do you have any kind of lag or loading time when you are zoomed in and navigating about your desktop? I can see this being a problem while entering trades and watching the Level 2, charts, last sale, etc. at the same time.

My wife and I just moved into a new subdivision, and they don't have cable turned on yet for our phase. Sadly I can't test this out live on my home PC just yet. I signed up for a free month of tethering just so that I could get online in the mornings to trade! I am in Hawaii, so to catch the pre-market I have to be up at 3am (yikes).

What are your favorite stocks lately? I've been having some fun with ETFC.

11-30-07 05:37 PM
    That's funny, I installed RDM+ yesterday after I posted my reply here. I connected to the test server and played with it a little; it seems like a nice piece of software. When I zoomed in, the connection was a little laggy. Do you have any kind of lag or loading time when you are zoomed in and navigating about your desktop? I can see this being a problem while entering trades and watching the Level 2, charts, last sale, etc. at the same time.

My wife and I just moved into a new subdivision, and they don't have cable turned on yet for our phase. Sadly I can't test this out live on my home PC just yet. I signed up for a free month of tethering just so that I could get online in the mornings to trade! I am in Hawaii, so to catch the pre-market I have to be up at 3am (yikes).

What are your favorite stocks lately? I've been having some fun with ETFC.

I think the lag is just inherent to using a cell phone to access a remote system with a graphics setup (you are using a cellphone to access a computer desktop via a cellular network). You can't expect a snappy 1:1 correlation. I don't see a way around that, coming from a computer background, I can't see it being much faster. I could be wrong. If there is a better software package, please let me know.

You can witness quotes and charts in relative real-time but... Yeah, you are right, actually placing a trade is a tooth pulling experience. You have to deal with the serious lag. Sorry... This will not suffice as a day-trading platform...

However, I can still get a heads-up and rush to a terminal or even place the trade via my RDM vs waiting till I get a break. Not that anything would have helped me much today.

As far as stocks? I wish you didn't ask... I was short CFC and wish that I got out yesterday when I seen BUY spikes coming in throughout the week and told myself that something is brewing but yet, never got out. I was up 35% and managed to get out today with a $45 loss, losing all my profit of almost 60%. I'm not too happy... I hedged my position with going long FRE and also went long BIDU. I'm also long NOV. FRE performed well, but my stake in FRE was 1/3 of my loss in CFC so I didn't do so hot today or even this week. I knew that Ben was speaking yesterday and I took a gamble. I expected worse news and that is why I stayed short CFC. I didn't expect the central bank to talk about possibly freezing the ARMs. That is what rallied CFC. I still think that CFC is sketchy. But I covered nonetheless. It's hard to judge sentiment and I lost enough, and refuse to keep taking a chance in CFC. However, I'm staying in the financial sector, since it is the place to be, long or short. I just really have to be fundamental about any position that I take.
    Last edited by anomalyberry; 11-30-07 at 10:25 PM.
    11-30-07 09:11 PM
    I feel your pain, I was surprised to see CFC jump so much in a single day. Imagine what will happen when Mr. B. cuts rates again...

I was up over 30% pre-market in ETFC on Thursday morning, after they received the cash infusion from Citadel and it jumped to 6.. I expected it to go to at least 7, so I hung on. It closed down .46 that day, and today it is down another .22 after being up big in pre-market and the morning. I couldn't believe it. I know that the new management will be good for E*Trade, and Citadel's new stake in the company is something they take very seriously. I expect it to even out and get back to at least 6 before Jan. 1st; it will still be a good investment.. If Ameritrade decides to take another stab at a buyout, even better.

I need to learn when to take profits, but I've only been doing this a few months.

The Yahoo message boards are a joke; I spent over 45 minutes today putting countless IDs on ignore, for either brainless pumping/bashing or outright lies about what was going on. Are there any message boards that you recommend?

12-01-07 12:14 AM
    Going back to your older post, How do you like living in Hawaii? Also, how quick is your computer while tethered to your BB? If it's quick, than maybe the lag while using RDM+ is because of their server?

I still haven't learned when to take profits and I've been trading for 1-1/2 yrs. and read many books. It's a tough game and takes many yrs. of experience to start making decent money. The Yahoo boards are for cheer leading purposes, but you can find useful information there so don't stop using them. There are two boards that I frequent, that actually have serious threads, and great members and moderators. They are superiorinvestor [.] net (Just take Cryo with many grains of salt), and wallstreetpit [.] com (I just joined and heard that The owners, Ron and Lamborghini (brothers) are out and out gurus)
    12-01-07 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD