I've been a Sprint customer for years and have no experience with SIM cards, so I'm a little confused. Searching the forums hasn't exactly helped...like I said, no experience with sim cards. So here's the question.

Is the Sprint Blackberry 8830 World Edition TRULY sim unlocked, as in door wide open and I can go from carrier to carrier? Or is it more like a hotel room with one of those cheesy little chains across the door?

I understand that I can go overseas and pop a pre-paid sim card in and talk away. BUT, can I take a Cingular/ATT sim here in the U.S. and use it? or T-Mobile? or any other sim carrier?

It would seem to me that if I can't, then the phone is not TRULY sim unlocked. It's more sim limited.
    09-13-07 08:42 PM
    For the gazillionth time. Yes, it's unlocked and no it won't work with a T-mo card or any other us based sim card. Use the search feature and you'll find that the phone does not have the capability of using the frequencies of US GSM based carriers.
    09-13-07 08:50 PM
    For the gazillionth time. Yes, it's unlocked and no it won't work with a T-mo card or any other us based sim card. Use the search feature and you'll find that the phone does not have the capability of using the frequencies of US GSM based carriers.
    The gazillionth time? You only have three posts so please don't play the put upon type that's spent many hours repeatedly answering a common question. (while I'm sure others have), you apparently have not (at least in this particular forum). Had my previous searches been fruitful, I wouldn't have asked.

Either way. Thank you for answering. It's limited...not unlocked. As in "Limited to non-U.S. GSM" which is expected. They use the term "sim unlocked" the same way they use the term "unlimited data" on some of the data packages...as in "unlimited as long as it's not tethered".
    09-13-07 10:20 PM
    The gazillionth time? You only have three posts so please don't play the put upon type that's spent many hours repeatedly answering a common question. (while I'm sure others have), you apparently have not (at least in this particular forum). Had my previous searches been fruitful, I wouldn't have asked.

Either way. Thank you for answering. It's limited...not unlocked. As in "Limited to non-U.S. GSM" which is expected. They use the term "sim unlocked" the same way they use the term "unlimited data" on some of the data packages...as in "unlimited as long as it's not tethered".
    Then I'm guessing that you didn't see the sticky at the top of this forum outlining in far too much detail for this topic. Once again....

The phone IS unlocked, fully unlocked, no doubt about it, 100%, dont argue, unlocked....

You cannot use it on any other carrier because other carriers use other frequencies (you can equate it to trying to plug in a DirecTV coax into a cable box -- they just dont talk even thoug they do the same thing).

Overseas, you can use it to roam on any CDMA network (if available, although doubtful), but more than likely you'll roam a GSM network. You can also choose to pop in an overseas GSM SIM which does read the GSM network, because GSM is on a different frequency than in the US. In short, the phone cannot read US based GSM because it doesnt have the radio for it. Overseas, it does. As for another US-based CDMA network, good luck getting VZW to activate a Sprint phone.

In the end, this does not mean the phone is "locked" or "limited". It's made for specific networks in mind. If you really need this model phone on AT&T or T-Mo, they support the 8800 series, which is where this phone lies. Just buy it from them instead.

Hopefully this answered your question and leaves little doubt for you.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 09-14-07 at 11:54 AM.
    09-14-07 11:52 AM
    I think you all need to take a time out to be honest.

If happens frequently that new users do a search and because of their newness, sometimes miss other posts that could answer their questions.

I dont think that goading new users is productive nor does it answer their queries..
    09-14-07 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD