I just convinced my brother today to switch from his "Q" to the BB8820. (ATT/Cingular does not have the 8830WE). He is having a big sms text issue, he cannot recieve any at all. Everything else is working perfectly: calls, e-mails, BBIM, browser, etc.

I have never had this issue with my Sprint/Nextel 8830WE and I have the privilege of assisting him with this issue because I boasted so much about the BB .

- I have deleted unwanted apps, languages, themes etc. and restarted/rebooted the device after all deletions were done with the final prompt. The device currently has 30.4MB of "File Free" memory.

- I have done numerous battery pulls and I have had dozens of diff people with diff devices send him sms text messages with no prevail.

- The device has 100% battery life right now as well as full signal strength.

There are only two things that are different under "options" "sms text" on his 8820 than my 8830 ... I am guessing this is becuase of carriers/models? His "Service Center" section is filled out with a phone number and he has a "Data Coding" section that is "7bit". I dont know if this makes any difference but thought I would give as much detail as possible.

Oh and he is currently using the "Dimension Icon" theme and his BB8820 is black .

This is getting pretty frustrating, please HELP!
    03-17-08 05:03 PM
    I agree, pretty frustrating. The steps you have taken to troubleshoot so far are spot on. Is he able to send text messages?
    03-17-08 05:06 PM
    Is there an option on there to select a network ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-08 05:08 PM
    Text messages probably won't be affected by the device alone. Call ATT and ask for a new device, or have them send the phone service books, not data.

03-17-08 05:10 PM
    Very good question and I am embarrased to say I over looked this ...so I should call this one in, shouldn't I? I was only going to call as the VERY last resort becuase I have read numerous threads complaining about the incompetence of carrier reps in regards to all BB's. Thanks sunkast, as always ... you are the MAN!
    03-17-08 05:14 PM
    Is there an option on there to select a network ?

Yes ... it is currently using GSM but allows a choice of GSM, GPRS or GPRS Preffered .... any suggestions?
    Last edited by dpg2103; 03-17-08 at 05:19 PM. Reason: GSM not GMS :P
    03-17-08 05:17 PM
    Text messages probably won't be affected by the device alone. Call ATT and ask for a new device, or have them send the phone service books, not data.

Thanks Tylerd, I will try the service books, no data.
    03-17-08 05:18 PM
    Try switching it to gprs then save then back to gsm that worked for me

03-17-08 05:20 PM
    Try switching it to gprs then save then back to gsm that worked for me

Just tried this as well as switching it to GPRS Preferred, saved, then back to GSM and saved, nothing. Also tried another battery pull for kicks and giggles. Nothing. I will be calling ATT now . Thank you all for the quick response, it is appreciated.
    03-17-08 05:31 PM
    Sounds to me like they may not have put texting on his plan, its a possibility. Did you also try a hard reset? You can pull the battery, hold the 'alt' key for 20 seconds, and then put the battery back in.
    03-17-08 08:58 PM
    Sounds to me like they may not have put texting on his plan, its a possibility. Did you also try a hard reset? You can pull the battery, hold the 'alt' key for 20 seconds, and then put the battery back in.

You are right on the money Grafixx01. Come to find out literally within 30seconds after the rep on the phone had just confirmed that text WAS indeed on my brothers plan, the technician the rep transferred us to informed us that text was NOT on my brothers plan and added it.

Carrier reps ... what do they do all day?
    03-17-08 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD