Hey Y'all,

Once again my 8830 is giving me some trouble... All of the sudden all my SMS messages and recent call history are disappearing after about 5 minutes. It really is a pain when I have a missed call and cant see who its from! The weird thing is my emails aren't disappearing. Is this an option or setting that is messed up or is there a legitimate problem here? any help would be wonderful!

Thanks,
    Alex
    11-04-08 12:57 PM
    This is due to memory loss! Go to Options>Status, and check File Free status. You should have a minimum of 12,000,000 free bytes in order for your BB to function smoothly. If you're low on memory, follow the instructions on this thread to help you out.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-08 01:07 PM
    Thanks! It worked like a charm!
    11-04-08 01:18 PM
    Use to have this alot. Make sure u have a sd gig card and all ur music and pics are saved on there. After that sooner or later ur memory will fill up and the phones way to deal with it is delete old stuff. I wish it would delete like everything thats 30 days old or somthing like that but it doesnt it wipes everything. so save imporant stuff and keep media on and SD card
    11-06-08 06:57 PM
    I wish it would delete like everything thats 30 days old or somthing like that but it doesnt it wipes everything.

You can change the setting in message>>options>> general to only keep messages for 15 days. Thanks helps with memory as well
    11-07-08 07:23 PM
    Hi, my texts aren't coming and I just don't know where you are saying to check memory.
    11-08-08 01:24 AM
    On your main screen, go to Options and then Status. Options has a little wrench icon.
    11-08-08 07:05 PM
    *wipes forehead*

i thought that was a major problem. thanks for clearing it up
    11-09-08 09:22 PM
    You can also check your file free and other useful data by pressing alt-left shift-H keys. It is important to follow the memory optimization guide. One should also check their file free number periodically. When the number gets lower than 12 or so, go ahead and do a reset -- I'm not sure if alt-right shift- delete works on an 8830 to reset the device, if it doesn't then do a battery pull while your device is on and wait 30 seconds before putting it back in -- your berry will then reboot.

Also, clear your browser's cache. With your browser open, press the menu key, then select options, then select cache operations, then click clear cache and back. This should free up quite a bit of memory. The last step is to clear your event log: from the desktop, open the log (alt-lglg)> press menu key> select clear log.

If you have upgraded your OS, you should check your memory every couple of days. You'll get a feel for how long you can go as you get experience.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-08 09:15 PM
    Thanks. Somehow I cleared it and it's working but can't remember how I did it! I'm not sure I know what "main screen" is. Thanks all!
    11-11-08 12:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD