Hey all,
    I really hope this is as simple as I think it SHOULD be:

I am adding a large handful of new contacts onto my 8830, but when I type in a number and go to Add to Address Book, it automatically puts that number in as the contacts "Work" number. I'd like it to automatically save it in the "Mobile" field instead, because it's quite annoying cutting and pasting to move it there. Any ideas?? Thanks a bunch!
    01-26-08 10:31 PM
    That is just how the BB works. It's just left over programming from when the BB was primarily a business device, I guess.
    01-27-08 02:25 AM
    I started to go through each of my contacts to change the listing, but eventually gave up (350+ contacts is a bit much to do in one sitting). I wish there was an easier way too!
    01-27-08 02:36 AM
    Why didn't you manually just fill in the mobile field as the beginning? Or if you imported from outlook, if the fields are correctly filled, doesn't export the way it was in outlook?
    01-27-08 02:43 AM
    Why didn't you manually just fill in the mobile field as the beginning? Or if you imported from outlook, if the fields are correctly filled, doesn't export the way it was in outlook?
    Unfortunately it doesn't. I did transfer my contacts from Outlook, and they were inputted to my preference. It's just that when it transfers to BB it sets all contacts for "Work". Like John C. said...the programming probably wasn't modified to accept settings from imported contact files...something for RIM to update in the future.
    01-27-08 02:49 AM
    Weird...I imported my contacts from Outlook as well and everything is in order. If in Outlook a contact had a mobile number, it would appear in mobile on my BlackBerry of if it was a home or business, it would be listed under the correct fields. Hmm...
    01-27-08 02:52 AM
    I have a different question, but the thread seems perfect for it. :-) How do you add a second or third email address to a contact in the address book?
    01-28-08 05:49 AM
    How do you add a second or third email address to a contact in the address book?
    Not sure if this is applicable to your OS version, but with 4.3 when you Edit the Contact, hitting Menu>Add Email Address will give you an additional email entry field.
    01-28-08 06:56 AM
    I have OS version 4.2.1.106, but that worked perfectly. Thank you!!!!
    01-28-08 02:00 PM
    In the Desktop Manager, under Synchronize -> Configuration -> Configure Synch you can choose to export to an ASCII file. This will give you a CSV file that you can load into Excel and shuffle things around. In Excel you can cut the entire column of work numbers and paste it into mobile numbers in a couple of seconds.

Once the file is fixed up, go back to configuration and re-import it. It should work fine, but I'd do a backup first just in case.
    01-28-08 03:09 PM
    I got my 8320 last week and was frustrated by my apparent "options" for putting in all the info.
    - By hand
    - Via provider's site (10 @ a time, to SIM, limited length)
    - Buy $oftware

**The answer: Import the fields from an old backup spreadsheet (Nokia 8290 labor of love) into the CSV file and viola!! Instant phonebook! A little tweaking and everything is awesome. May be the fastest import of 300+ contacts I will ever witness. Took me longer to get Bluetooth sync working, but that is another (frustrating) story...

THANK YOU!!!
    05-07-08 07:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD