I have a World edition 8830 and service with a local provider (Ntelos) I am going to Europe in a few weeks and was trying to find out if I purhcased a sim card for this phone if I could get it to work in Europe. I have been to best buy and they are suppose to get in go sim cards that may work?

Does having the local provider stop me from using the phone in Europe or could a sim card work?
    07-09-08 07:59 AM
    You will have to contact your provider and find out. The verizon 8830 is what is called "locked" and setup to only work with the sim card that they sell. But, verizon now do allow you to UNlock the phone by calling them and getting a code specific to your phone (and a verizon sim must be in the phone to do the unlock process). Then the phone can be used with 3rd party sim cards.

But I've read that some other carriers do NOT lock the phone - so you need to find out from your carrier.
    07-09-08 09:28 AM
    ^^^ Verizon is the only 8830 carrier to lock the SIM slot. The other carriers do not. Also, if you use a prepaid SIM in the phone, don't expect data to work on it, just voice.
    07-09-08 09:55 AM
    I also have an 8830 but with Sprint. I am going to Australia for 6 months. Should I sign up for an international plan? Or is there a way to buy a local sim and get data through a Vodafone, ATT etc. Without a 2year contract? What would be the best option, blackberry or no blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-08 10:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD