Is there a way to shut down unused programs? BB Messenger and Browser are running in the background all the time and I don't want them to. I have 'closed' them but when I alt click they're still there.

Thanks
    12-29-07 10:36 PM
    There are a few programs that you cannot exit or close - Messenger, Browser, Messages, and Phone (Call Log) are the ones.

They will always show when you use ALT-Escape or 'switch application' to see what's running.
    12-29-07 10:48 PM
    There are a few programs that you cannot exit or close - Messenger, Browser, Messages, and Phone (Call Log) are the ones.

They will always show when you use ALT-Escape or 'switch application' to see what's running.
    But is there a "Programs Running" screen I can get to to close one or more programs at once?

There used to be (under XP) a handy little app for Windoze called EndItAll that worked like Task Manager, but killed background processes and everything. It (gracefully) killed apps and all, and was WONDERful for clearing out the memory before startng a video-editing app or other memory-intensive program. I wonder if someone smarter than me could write a nugget like this for the BB? It's now been superceded by TaskPower 2 - google it!

It's a pain to have to navigate to a program, then select Menu, then scroll down to Close (or exit).

Why, oh why, doesn't the Red Button simply close the app? This is EXACTLY the same problem that ate my MotoQ battery alive!
    01-02-08 03:26 PM
    Most apps allow you to close them by using the esc key (right of the trackball.)

Don't use the red end key (unless you want to leave the app running) as this takes you directly to the home screen. This is even written in the manual. Use the escape key or Menu >Close/Exit (sometimes close and exit are different as well, so keey an eye out for that, too.)
    01-02-08 04:10 PM
    My texas holdem application has frozen and I can't shut it down. I'd rather not delete it (as I might lose my progress), but is there a way to manually shut it down so that I could restart the application?

Thanks in advance

(8330 Curve)
    09-09-08 01:20 PM
    Well, I pulled the battery out and that seemed to do the trick. But, I still think there should be a way to individually quit an application. If there is, do tell!

btw the escape key didn't work in my situation. The application just stayed frozen.
    09-09-08 03:53 PM
    Try holding down all at once Alt (left side) and Shift (right side) and Delete. That will reset your BB. I believe that will close down your programs.
    09-09-08 04:22 PM
    Thanks absolutbmc! Worked like a charm, and much easier than pulling the battery out.
    09-28-08 09:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD