A few days ago the screen on my BB 8830 WE went nuts. All pixeley and gittery. When I'd tap on the side things would flicker a little then return to the same. I called Sprint Support and performed a wipe of the phone but that didn't fix it. I took it to the sprint store and replaced it with a Curve that is working great.

So with nothing to lose I decided to tear into my BB 8830 and see what might be going wrong. The screen flicker acted similar to a laptop computer screen when the electronic ribbon doesn't have a good connection. I dismanteled the 8830 all the way down to the basic parts. In order to break it down any further would have required a soldering iron and much patience.

The phone is pretty basically actually. There's a ribbon going from the keyboard to mother board and a smaller one going from the motherboard to the screen. I unpluged and reseated all connections and put the phone back together. I saw no evidence of damage or short along the entire circuitry. Put back together the phone still does the same thing. There's a problem somewhere and I suspect it's still hardware related. However, maybe somewhere there's a software issue causing the messed up screen. The phone still works if you can figure out how to get where you want with the messed up screen. Does anybody know if there's a way to hard reset the phone via a couple push buttons? I know you can scroll through menus to do it but since I can't read the menus that won't do any good. This is my last attempt to revive this phone. If I can't get this phone to work the only thing it has in it's future is "Will it Blend" dot com.
    10-13-08 05:12 PM
    You can download Crackmem (find it in the forums) or JL_Cmder (also in the forums). Both programs give you the ability to wipe you device completely clean. That means there won't be an OS installed and the phone won't be operational until you reinstall one. But it will let you perform a hard reset.
    10-13-08 11:46 PM
    I think its a hardware fault, get it replaced/fixed.
    10-14-08 09:06 AM
    It's a screen problem. No software would cause this.
    10-14-08 09:26 AM
    Possibly a bad solder joint. But that falls into a hardware issue anyhow.
    10-14-08 05:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD