I'm wondering if anyone could explain why this is? I'm on Verizon and have been spending quite a bit of time in an extended service area. Sometimes, my 8830 works just fine. But more often than not, I have to pull the battery and let it re-start in order to get a connection.

Interestingly, while it won't connect with BlackBerry when I don't get service I can access the web via Opera Mini.

Why would it be that I get a connection with Opera, but need to re-start to get a normal connection? And then only for a short while, and then I lose it again.
    11-12-08 07:19 AM
    Your connection to Backberry Services depends upon tower configuration and the network those towers belong to. Make sure you're on the latest OS for your phone (4.2.2.196) and also make sure that the next time you're in your home area, you dial *22899 to update your PRL for roaming. If you continue to have issues, you'll need to call Verizon and file a location complaint and tell them where you are when this happens and that just your BB data connection is lost, but not voice.

The reason why Opera works is because Opera does not depend upon RIM's network or server to surf the web. It depends upon you having TCP network access to a tower and then it connects to the Opera proxy servers for browsing services. This is the same reason why when RIM has an outage, all RIM based data services (including web access) are lost, but you can still use Opera to surf if needed. It's just the way a BB works. Almost all RIM branded services depend upon RIM core network access via the carrier/tower you're attached to. If you loose that connectivity, you loose the services.

Now, the next time this happens, you can simply go into Connection Manager and turn off your radio, wait 5 secs, and then turn it back on. If this gets you data, you need to check your OS version. Older versions used to drop data like what you're experiencing.
    11-12-08 01:05 PM
    Thank you for the excellent explanation! Now that I understand why I can work on the fix. I have the latest version and I update my roaming capabilities every week (found somewhere on the site as a suggested thing to do). So it looks like a call to Verizon will be the next step.
    11-12-08 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD