Hi -- I'm new to the forums and new to BB. I finally broke down and got one!

I'm planning on taking it on several trips to Europe in the next few months. I have an unlimited domestic BB useage plan with 900 min voice for $104.98 per month through Verizon ($59.99 voice & $44.99 BB). Verizon says I can add an unlimited data useage plan for international travel for $20 per month. Voice calls would still be charged at the exhorbitant Verizon overseas rate The phone is locked. Truthfully, I don't want to mess around with unlocking it yet. I need to learn the technology first before I try to circumvent it.

I've learned to not necessarily take what cell phone companies tell me is covered under my plan as gospel. I had a hard enough time getting straight info out of them when I bought the phone and locked into another 2 year contract. If I talked to 4 different people, I got 4 different prices. It was frustrating. I've never worked so hard to give a company my money as I did with Verizon. Unfortunately, or fortunately, in my local area, they truly do have the strongest service and fewest dropped calls. I've tried the others, and I just don't have the same coverage so I'm somewhat stuck with Verizon by choice.

I'm reading horror stories about people racking up huge bills overseas due to the data downloading itself even when the phone is turned off. I'm also hearing about how you are charged when anyone calls you even if you don't pick up the phone or check your voicemail. Is this true?

If I used my BB just to email and surf the web while in Europe am I in danger of coming home to a bill of hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars? If people in the US call me and leave me a voicemail am I automatically charged for that even though I don't pick up or check voicemail? I'm a bit intimidated about taking it overseas due to what I'm reading but that was the whole purpose in getting the 8830 as opposed to a different BB.

What about on a cruise ship? Cruise ship roaming rates are atrocious -- $2.49 to $4.99 depending on the carrier. If I have my BB with me but do not have it turned on, am I in danger of racking up huge bills.

Thanks for any advice for this new-to-everything BB user!
    09-08-07 09:50 PM
    First you have 8830 WE that can accept any SIM card. Don't know how this work on Verizon, but chapest way to make call is to buy pre-pad card in country where you will be and then make calls, send SMS...

As for reciving email via BB. Look is there some plan that gives you unlimited (flat) data internacional or at least enough MB for all your emails...

On cruser, maybe you shoud turn option "Data Services Off When Roaming" in Mobile Network...
    09-09-07 04:09 AM
    Thanks for the reply, Matt. With Verizon, the 8830 is locked. While I can unlock it, then I'll lose access to my email which is my primary reason for taking it overseas.

The whole cruise idea scares me. I'm wondering if I can turn enough of it completely off that the thing doesn't start racking up the charges. As I'm leaving in a few weeks, I have to figure this out.
    09-09-07 05:42 AM
    Data is data... if you receive email you will get charged for the data. If you browse, etc. Voice, you won't get charged for not taking a call or it going to voicemail, only if you answer a call or place one. If you travel a lot, get the unlimited international data added, especially if you get a lot of email and keep your voice calls short.

BTW, there's no circumventing the SIM lock. Verizon will unlock it if you call them and ask for it, but you're right... that will only help you with voice calls and not data because once you change SIMs to a prepaid one you loose your data. Some people can deal with that, others can't.
    09-10-07 08:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD