hello

i just converted my dad in to a bb user haha.

but he has 8800? from verizon, and i have 8330

it seems as though on his phone, custom ringtones are VERY quite.
    is this normal??

and his bb has trouble reading .wav files as ringtones is this normal also?
    i know i could have searched, but i just need some quick answers.

thank you.
    05-29-08 11:10 PM
    It may possibly be the 8830 from Verizon. The 8830 does have some loudness issues and some folks tweak using other ringtones. There are also ways to tweak what are called profiles but I found that still did not make it loud enough.

At the top of this forum page are STICKIES. One contains links to a CLASSIC ring tone.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/883...classic-31623/
    05-30-08 10:32 AM
    Use a sound editor to boost the amplitude level of the sound. That will help deal with the significant loudness limitations of the 8830.
    05-30-08 12:11 PM
    Well the thing is I did boost the amp level by 200% and it still didn't help much. When its in his holster its pretty decent, but when its out of it then you can barely hear the ringtone. So this is a problem with 8830 from vzon? I guess there isn't a point of going in to the store and complaining about it then. Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-08 01:07 PM
    And also do other people have problems with .wav ringtones? .wav ringtones don't work in his phone, so o had to covert it to mp3 format. Thanks I'll check out the stickies

05-30-08 01:10 PM
    If the volume of the ring tones are dependent on the holster, make sure the profiles are set correctly. My 8830 is set to HIGH on all ring tones.

As far as wav files, I'm not entirely sure about the ability for the phone to recognize it, I will tell you that I have read about VZ crippling which video formats the 8830 can view, they may have done the same with certain sound files.

Try a free audio program such as audacity to output those wav files to MP3 which the phone can use well, it'll also save you free space on the phone or memory card.

05-30-08 01:51 PM
    Make sure your sound profiles are also customized to High for the volume for both in and out of holster. But generally speaking ALL 8830s from ALL carriers have this issue for some unknown reason. If it's not fixed when 4.5 comes out we'll all know that RIM are a bunch of *****.
    05-30-08 06:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD