I know that I can set up my BB so that when I get a text message I get a certain ringtone. And I can set it up so that if someone calls me that I have a certain ringtone set up for them. However, it doesn't appear as though I can set it up to have that same ringtone if that caller sends me a text message.

Is there a way to do this and if so how? Thanks for any help.
    07-24-07 09:38 AM
    No, you can't set a different alert for messages from different people. At least not natively. There is a program called BBAlerts that might be able to do that. I've never used it.
    07-24-07 09:54 AM
    Nope, in reading about BBAlerts it doesn't appear to handle that particular problem.
    07-24-07 11:07 AM
    No i think that is too specific.
    07-24-07 01:27 PM
    I got this from another Blackberry Forum

This workaround is for devices with OS 4.1 and above. It does not work for OS 4.0 or below.

1. Go to Profiles on your BlackBerry and create a new custom profile, naming it the name of your targeted sender.
    2. Edit and change the Messages, Level 1 Messages, MMS, Phone and SMS notifications for this profile to the custom ringtones you prefer for this contact. Don't worry about changing things like Calendar, Messenger Alerts and Tasks don't matter for individual users.
    3. Once all of your ringtone settings are set for the new custom profile, save the changes. Now you will be back to your Profiles list and will see your custom profile listed there with the standard ones.
    4. Now wheel click and select New Exception.
    5. Title the exception whatever you want (would be smart to name it again the name of that particular contact).
    6. In the FROM line, click the trackwheel or trackball and select the user from your address book. They should now show in your From line.
    7. Scroll down and change the Use Profile option from Active Profile to your newly created custom group.
    8. You may remove the check box from "Custom Phone Tune" if you already have a custom phone tune for this contact, or leave it and set it in the new custom profile as well.
    9. Save the changes.

I did all that and I'm still getting my default SMS Message Ring. Is this something else that Verizon has taken away?
    07-24-07 07:31 PM
    I got it to work. The key was not setting a custom ringtone for the same person I was setting up the profile for.
    07-25-07 12:34 PM
    i did everything u said i got nothing im so lost. how do i find out if my version is the rite one or not?
    10-16-07 06:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD